Join us in doing work that matters! WindowDressers is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to warming homes, helping the environment, and building community. We train, supply, and support teams of local volunteers to run “Community Builds” that assemble insulating window inserts for local homes. With a small staff and over 1,500 volunteers, we annually serve 1,000-1,500 households in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont with 8,000 - 10,000 inserts that improve home energy efficiency.
The Production Manager is a seasonal position (July-Dec) that is responsible for producing and providing all necessary supplies to these Community Builds. There is a possibility that the seasonal position could evolve into a year-round position for the right candidate. The Production Manager works out of WindowDressers’ Searsmont, Maine production facility.
- MANAGE SUPPLY INVENTORY: Calculate the supplies needed to build the target number of insert, order supplies, receive shipments, prepare supplies as-needed (ripping and painting wood), manage and continually reassess the inventory and quality of supplies and equipment to ensure that Community Build targets are met.
- LEAD THE PRODUCTION CREW: Collaborate with the Executive Director to recruit, interview, hire, and train a seasonal labor force of 4-5 production crew who will assist in the shop from September to November. Lead and supervise this crew throughout the production season, creating efficient operations and a positive working environment.
- MANAGE, DIRECT, AND PERFORM CUT/DRILL/PACKAGE OPERATIONS: For 10-12 weeks in the fall, you will lead the “Cut Room” daily as you and the crew cut, label, drill, sort, and package the wood that will become window insert “Kits;” ensuring quality, accuracy, and efficiency throughout the process. You must be able to safely and competently run power tools including, but not limited to; circular saw, table saw, TigerStop, drill press, power drill, and train crew on the same. Understand and enforce OSHA safety protocols for this type of facility at all times.
- MANAGE PICK-UPS: Prepare “Kits,” consumable supplies (plastic, tape, foam, etc) and build equipment to ensure every Community Build has the right amount of materials to complete their work. Communicate with the (volunteer) Local Coordinators throughout the build season to schedule their pick up times. Load their trucks along with your shop staff. Receive and inventory surplus materials returned after a Community Build.
- LEADERSHIP AND INNOVATION: WindowDressers is a collaborative organization that encourages innovation and shared leadership. The Production Manager will continually evaluate production processes, think critically about how they can be improved, implement minor changes, and propose major changes to the Executive Director for discussion and possible implementation. The Production Manager will foster a working environment where the crew is encouraged and rewarded for providing input and suggestions to improve production processes.
- Values quality and has a continuous-improvement mindset
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: verbal and written
- Organization and attention to detail
- Collaborative spirit
- Critical thinking, evaluation, and innovation
- Flexibility, initiative, and willingness to explore new ideas and methods
- Passion for reducing energy poverty and slowing climate change
- Intermediate to advanced fluency in English
- Solid intermediate math skills
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, Gmail, and GoogleDocs
- Ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds with some frequency, and 10 to 25 pounds frequently.
- Ability to stand on their feet for long periods of time, daily.
- Talking/Hearing – ability to speak clearly and listen attentively.
- Grasping, leaning, stretching, reaching, squeezing, bending, leaning, lifting, pushing, pulling, walking, climbing and descending stairs.
- Repetitive use of hands and arms.
- Visual acuity to recognize workplace safety and surroundings, as well as determine accuracy of work assigned.
- Ability to continuously work with other people.
- $22 - $25/hr depending on skills and experience, full-time for about 6 months (July-Dec), paid holidays and sick days. This position can possibly become a regular year-round position with additional benefits for the right motivated candidate.