ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Greets and prepares patient for office visit or outpatient procedure.
- Obtains vital signs and weighs each patient.
- Updates problem and medication list at each patient visit.
- Assists in procedures requested by the medical provider.
- Performs phlebotomy as needed.
- Checks charts routinely for omissions and compliance.
- Maintains sterilization process of all instruments.
- Makes referral and prescription calls per medical provider’s orders.
- Refilling prescriptions, per protocol and as applicable.
- Screens calls including emergency calls.
- Assures that all necessary release and consent forms are signed.
- Performs lab testing according to set protocols and maintains yearly competency.
- Performs look up per protocol on the Maine Prescription Monitoring Program.
- Performs Medication Prior Authorizations, as needed.
- Prepares electronic charts with all requested information in preparation of patient encounters.
- Schedules patients for procedures in OR and any outpatient test (x-rays, labs, etc), if applicable.
- Communicate with patients via various communication avenues, including secure messaging. Participates with any department quality indicators.
- Responsible to collect provider quality data as requested.
- Completes daily, weekly, and monthly checklists with duties to include inventory management, samples management, and other monitors.
- Obtains working knowledge of IMMPACT procedures, policies, performance expectations, etc. as needed.
- Maintains compliance with all hospital policies as well as compliance with all State, Federal and CMS policies of licensing and certification.
- Responsible to maintain medical record privacy and security according to hospital policies and procedures at all times.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of, and commitment to, the hospital’s mission, vision and values as well as the service excellence standards while completing all tasks and responsibilities.
- Provides coverage for other DECH physician offices when necessary.
- Seeks out needed information by staying informed and involved by attending meetings; reading memos, policies, meeting minutes, newsletters, email and other appropriate information in a timely manner.
- Uses patient handling techniques as appropriate to the needs of the individual patient in keeping with the Safe Patient and Handling and Movement Policy.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality, including observing appropriate break times and extending a scheduled shift when necessary to meet patient demands.
- Performs duties in a safe manner, in compliance with all safety policies and procedures
- Complies with the Code of Conduct and all appropriate policies and procedures
- Other duties, as assigned, that are relevant to the position and department
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENT
Clinical: Frequently lifts up to 35 pounds independently. Frequently pushes/pulls 100 pounds using mechanical and other assistive devices. Walks, stands, kneels, bends most of the time. Exhibits fine motor skills and manual dexterity necessary to perform the essential job functions of the position. Visual acuity correctable to 20/20. Color vision is necessary. Normal hearing acuity.
Exposure Category I: Employee at risk for exposure to blood borne pathogens.
- Maintains current knowledge of the hospital-wide Quality Improvement Program.
- Collaborates with management to improve the effectiveness of the department through the Quality Improvement plans and processes.
- Participates in the departmental and hospital-wide Quality Improvement activities as directed by the manager.
- Adheres to the federal, state, and local statutes and regulations.
- Adheres to the Compliance Program policies and procedures of Down East Community.
- Adheres to all Privacy and Security policies and procedures of Down East Community.
- Communicates any concern related to compliance issues to manager of department or Compliance Officer.
- Communicates any concern related to confidentiality issues to the Privacy Officer.
JOB SUMMARY AND SCOPE
Performs medical assisting functions to support the provision of care within the physician department. Interacts with patients, families and staff member to maximize successful patient outcomes.
- Ability to work with the public
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Immunization and injection administration, vision & hearing, phlebotomy
- Certified Medical Assisting degree or appropriate training.
- CMA, RMA or CCMA certification with 90 days of hire