Northern Light Mercy Hospital
Department: Physical Therapy
Position is located: Mercy Westgate
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: Variable
The purpose of the Physical Therapist position is to evaluate, treat, document and/or facilitate care for patients with impaired functional mobility which limits performance of activities of daily living at an independent level due to injury, developmental delay, physical or mental illness, or disease process. The Physical Therapist helps patients reduce or resolve pain and restore motor skills, balance, coordination, skin integrity, and overall endurance and physical fitness to develop, recover, or maintain daily living and work skills.
- Evaluates patients through a variety of objective tests, standardized assessments, skilled observation, history and interview. Evaluations are documented in accordance with regulatory policies and procedures.
- Synthesizes evaluation results into a comprehensive and age-appropriate plan of care based on patient needs which includes measurable and functional goals and objectives for the Physical Therapy treatment.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary meetings (when applicable) to review evaluation results, integrate findings with other disciplines, offer recommendations, and develop individual plan of care.
- Provides targeted, evidence-based therapeutic interventions and treatment to help patient attain the highest level of function possible within the confines of his/her physical abilities.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the operation of equipment utilized to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Recommends and/or provides appropriate preventative measures and adaptive equipment to prevent decline in LTC patients’ function through consultation with nursing staff.
- Monitors and reassesses the effects of Physical Therapy intervention and the need to continue, modify, or discontinue intervention.
- Records and submits all patient charges accurately and in a timely manner.
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance information at onset of patient care episode.
- Appropriately delegates tasks to and supervises support personnel in accordance with state regulatory agencies and third-party payers.
- Provides clinical education and supervision for Physical Therapy and Physical Therapy Assistant students.
- Prioritizes and schedules work tasks independently following all departmental policies regarding appropriate patient scheduling, referral processes, and productivity.
- Manages inventory of therapeutic equipment and supplies. Projects needs for budget planning.
- Changes and maintains necessary supply of linens, maintains office area and necessary supply of paperwork, cleans and maintains DME, mat tables and rehab equipment.
- Provides consultant and/or therapy services to businesses, schools, and other facilities as contracted with C.A. Dean.
- Provides in-services for support personnel and other staff of C. A. Dean, and community members, as requested.
- Assists Manager Rehab Services and leadership team in developing marketing materials and promoting services in rehab clinics.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Maine Physical Therapist License or eligible to obtain
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.