The Contracts Administrator is responsible for managing the process of review, triage and timely submission of all research grants and contracts. They help with the planning, implementation and evaluation of grant proposals and provide guidance on industry sponsored agreements, material transfer agreements and contract service agreements. Contract administrators negotiate and review grants and contracts for appropriateness and ensure that awardees are in compliance with established guidelines and administrative practices. This position requires knowledge and skill in applying analytical and evaluative techniques to the identification and resolution of grants administration issues and applicable knowledge of laws, regulations, agency policy, precedent cases, and other requirements that affect grant and contract program administration.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field preferred.
At least 3 years progressive experience in grant writing and grant management in a health or health-related field, with demonstrated ability to coordinate large grants and/or contracts from varied sources.
Knowledge of information resources, databases, and methods of accessing and using such resources.
Ability to develop or facilitate the development of a conceptual framework for a proposal.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
Bachelor’s degree and/or ABA-approved paralegal certificate, or other comparable legal experience.
At least 3 years’ experience in a healthcare or clinical research setting, with focus on contract drafting and negotiation.
Thorough understanding of contract management process, including tracking, negotiation, approval and signature processes.
- Drafts a wide range of contracts (which may include confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, materials transfer agreements, clinical study agreements and physicians services agreements) under supervision of the Research Contracts Officer.
- Gathers and confirms facts from internal stakeholders in order to initiate contract formation.
- Performs initial review of contracts and comments from outside parties and red-lines in accordance with internal standards.
- Prepares and finalizes contracts for execution routing through contract system.
- Performs administrative tasks specific to contract management, such as creating files, updating files, managing the contract execution process, scanning and entering executed contracts into internal contract database, and tracking status of contracts.
- Updates institutional pre-award databases that provide vital information related to contracting activities.
- Performs legal research to ensure contractual compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Communicates contractual requirements to investigators and other offices within MMCRI.