We are looking for a CPA with Financial Reporting experience in the New England area. This position can be remote with some travel to our Portland office.
The Mission of The MEMIC Group is to make workers' comp work better with compassion, trusted partnerships, and relentless commitment to workforce safety. The secret to the success and longevity of great organizations is their shared vision and strong values. At MEMIC our values are to be conscientious, to be an expert, to be a partner, to be curious and to be transparent.
The Director, Financial Reporting will manage and direct the Group's financial reporting and general ledger reconciliation in accordance with promulgated statutory and GAAP accounting principles and the Model Audit Rule (MAR). Primary responsibilities, in collaboration with finance team members, includes oversight and review of the Group's internal and external financial reporting, external financial statement and regulatory audit, general ledger, establishment of accounting policies and procedures, internal control monitoring of existing and future MAR requirements and supervision and mentoring of staff. The position will report to the Vice President, Finance.
- Responsible for all general ledger statutory and GAAP accounting functions including financial reporting, applicable compliance reporting, timely and accurate oversight of reconciliations to the general ledger as it relates to the insurance industry.
- Coordinates and executes the monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes including preparation of internally prepared financial statements, quarterly and annual statements, key reconciliations and reviews, documentation associated with MAR. Disseminates appropriate reporting, analytics and dashboards on a timely basis for use by management, the Board and applicable external regulatory agencies.
- Performs accounting, and insurance specific, research and advice on technical accounting issues including expense and revenue recognition issues as proper reporting of the same – supports the team in understanding of accounting research and any applicable updates to statutory or GAAP reporting that impacts the Group.
- Generates and continually improves reporting to management, Board, and regulatory authorities. Responds to management inquiries regarding financial information and performance measures, as needed. Supports Enterprise Risk Management process across the Group including recommendations, oversight and identification of existing or emerging risks as they relate to finance and insurance.
- Coordinates, validates and oversees finance related general ledger and data integrity testing and process around claims, underwriting, premium billing and premium audit systems in for financial reporting and statutory reporting requirements. Participates in project improvement and implementation of these key systems.
- Oversees the external audit process which includes ensuring audit schedules are prepared and reviewed on a timely basis and the completion of the audit in a timely manner for annual interim and year-end financial statement audit, periodic regulatory audits, 401(k) audit or other ad hoc regulatory audits. Ensures new GAAP and STAT accounting principles have been applied as applicable, conducts independent research prior and during audit.
- Supports the CFO, Vice President, Finance, Director, Tax & Compliance and finance management team to ensure compliance with the internal control requirements of various sections of the Sarbanes Oxley Act, including Section 404 to the extent any portion of Section 404 is applicable to insurance companies and MAR. This includes review and finalization of policies and procedures and internal control documentation including those prepared by financial reporting or financial operations staff. Ensures policies and procedures, on behalf of the finance team, are within prescribed corporate governance policies.
- Leads and develops financial reporting or other applicable staff.
- Leverages the JD Edwards system by identifying ways to continuously improving the general ledger area to meet the needs of a rapidly growing business, support new system implementation process and integration and data integrity. Recommends upgrades if deemed necessary to meet improved business needs, participates in system selection and vendor oversight of finance impacted systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree with eight or more years of progressive financial and management experience in the area of general ledger accounting, consolidation, reporting and analysis.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required.
- Strong hands-on accounting experience with excel (intermediate or above), use of a general ledger system, reconciliation of accounts, and consolidations.
- Must be able to successfully supervise, develop staff and meet deadlines.
- Proven experience, solid knowledge and understanding of state filing requirements, expense and revenue recognition, US GAAP, FASB, EITF, and Sarbanes Oxley.
- Key attributes include integrity, enthusiasm, action oriented, highly disciplined and a self-starter.
- Excellent time management, communications, decision making, presentation, human relations, and organizational skills as well as strong computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross functional, team oriented environment at all levels of the organization.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes all traditional offerings such as:
- Health Insurance options, Dental Insurance options and Vision Insurance
- Employee Life Insurance/AD&D and Dependent Life Insurance options
- Short-term & Long-term Disability
- Health Savings Account with potential employer match
- Flexible Medical and Dependent Care Account
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal/Identify Theft Insurance options
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- 401 (k) Retirement Plan with match up to 5%, plus profit sharing & discretionary contributions (subject to vesting)
- 5 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 7 paid holidays
We also offer other benefits to help foster a healthy, balance lifestyle such as:
- Flextime schedules
- Paid Parental Leave
- Student loan paydown and refinancing assistance
- Educational assistance for job related courses, seminars, certifications or degrees
- One paid day every year to volunteer for your non-profit of choice
- On-site fitness center (Maine & Virginia) or fitness reimbursement
- Subsidized parking
- Sit-Stand desks & daily stretch breaks
MEMIC is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetics, gender identity, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. MEMIC is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.