We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join and manage a growing group of high-performing software engineers on the Common Business Services (CBS) team at WEX. The team is part of the Enterprise Platform Services organization which is building out common payment tools and services for all of WEX.
A successful candidate will have an established background in developing software, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. This individual will have a strong track record of helping to deliver an effective, highly available, and flexible technology platform in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly.
- Guide an extremely talented remote team and deliver a maintainable product with a focus on time to market
- Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization
- Partner with business stakeholders, solutions architecture, and product manager to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
- Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements.
- Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
- Hire exceptional software talent and help build, and grow a team that is based across the US and Brazil.
- You have 5+ years of engineering experience, with 3+ years of combined tech leadership and people management.
- You’ve previously led and/or managed a team of 5 or more engineers.
- You are a mentor to individual contributors of different seniority levels and expertise.
- Experience in software development in one or more programming languages
- You are willing to jump into the code to understand, contribute and/or troubleshoot technical issues.
- You possess a clear and engaging communication style with a track record of building positive relationships across a broad diverse organization.
- Ability to encourage and foster a culture of visibility and transparency across teams
- Passion for automation and a reluctance for manual implementation
- Strong philosophy of continuous improvement
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (particularly AWS) a plus
- Experience in building cloud-native applications
- Strong technical fundamentals including Linux, Docker, CI/CD
- Working knowledge of databases including SQL, indexing, and schema design
- Bias towards data-driven decisions and ensuring key metrics are agreed on, visible and actionable
- Experience managing an engineering team on projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems, and/or storage