Join Martin's Point Health Care - an innovative, not-for-profit health care organization offering care and coverage to the people of Maine and beyond. As a joined force of "people caring for people," Martin's Point employees are on a mission to transform our health care system while creating a healthier community. Martin's Point employees enjoy an organizational culture of trust and respect, where our values - taking care of ourselves and others, continuous learning, helping each other, and having fun - are brought to life every day. Join us and find out for yourself why Martin's Point has been certified as a "Great Place to Work" since 2015. Performs successful specimen collection while exhibiting competence, professionalism, excellent communication and public relations skills. Will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the healthcare delivery system and familiarity with clinical laboratory services.
- Collects adequate and correct blood specimens by venipuncture or microcollection techniques on adults, children and infants. Is prepared to function in this area to meet all patient needs, exhibiting professional and pleasant behavior.
- Facilitates collection, processing and transportation of other these and other clinical laboratory specimens
- Accurately processes laboratory orders using athena and LabDAQ, the laboratory information system in a timely manner
- Performs, and documents results waived laboratory tests according to procedure.
- Provides technical and clerical support while ensuring efficient operations and promoting positive staff and patient relations.
- Follows departmental policies to correctly identify the patient before any specimen is obtained.
- Correctly labels all specimens.
- At all times shows concern for and understanding of the patient and promotes the comfort and well-being of the patient while performing collecting duties.
- Maintains accurate and orderly log records and worksheets where required according to established departmental protocol.
- Follows Universal Precautions and all OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standards when performing phlebotomy and handling specimens. Respects HIPAA guidelines.
- Provides collection instructions and processes specimens for urinalysis, 24 hr urine samples and cultures.
Depending on site location, may also assist with Patient Services Representative activities which may include any combination of the following:
- Coordinates New Patient Management (distributes packets, maintains records, initial screenings, etc.)
- Conducts pre-visit chart prep
- Manages Patient and Provider Schedules (schedules patients).
- Follows Standard Processes and Protocols related to clinical activities (med refills, order follow through/tracking lab reporting)
- Responsible for Lab results reporting as delegated
- With Clinical Support, tracks and follows up patient issues
- Issues pre-appointment lab and health maintenance reminders
- Manages Web portal scheduling and registration activities
- Conducts patient check-in and check-out activities as appropriate.
- Flexibility to cover at other sites if needed.
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- 1 yr+ Phlebotomy experience required
- Skills/Knowledge/Competencies (Behaviors):
- Uses discretion and tact in all interactions with patients.
- Projects an image of professionalism in appearance and conduct at all times
- Ability to resolve a variety of problems related to patient samples and miscellaneous computer issues.
- Effectively distinguishes between low and high priority activities.
- Communicates clearly and concisely with accuracy, credibility and confidence.
- Basic keyboarding and computer literacy is required.
- Must demonstrate an appreciation of various health insurance plans, including Medicare.
- Ability to work as a team player in a busy setting with many interruptions.
- Ability to flex hours to meet staffing demands
- Ability to travel to alternative work sites
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Good hearing, visual acuity and fine motor skills needed for routine daily tasks.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Do you have a question about careers at Martin’s Point Health Care? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org