Job Posting End Date: 12/16
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This position provides leadership to a staff of direct reports in Group, Individual or VWB operating units. The position is responsible for complex/multi-functioned work assignments and/or projects that typically involve the integration of multi-functions, multi-products, and/or multi-locations on a continuous, ongoing basis as a permanent part of the job. This position uses business expertise and effective decision-making and negotiation skills to implement strategic direction through strong tactical management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages more than one function or area on a regular basis. Additional complexity and breadth contribute to the overall accountability of the job.
- Leadership of a diverse team, including all aspects of people management, selection, training, resource capacity, job design and performance management that creates a high-performance operating environment.
- Ensures quality, audit and control standards through the development of effective standards, policies, education and creative training programs.
- Develops workflow to meet specialized needs to ensure that appropriate service and financial levels are met at all times.
- Manages internal and external customer expectations through project planning and partnering efforts throughout the corporation.
- Provides leadership and direction to project teams who have are involved with projects specific to the operational area.
- Communicates project strategies and status to all impacted parties.
- Meets challenges head-on by the efficient and timely development, identification, and implementation of new strategies, solutions and opportunities for improved service standards.
- Coordinates training, staffing and system changes as dictated by project plans.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred plus 5-7 years of increasingly responsible management experience
- Proven ability to make sound business decisions and deliver results
- Solid understanding of the service needs and financial impact to service levels
- Demonstrated experience in motivation, team building and collaboration
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills – both written and verbal
- Strong project management, leadership and organization skills
- Solid understanding of the budget and salary administration processes, and the impact of each to productivity, morale and service levels
- Overall knowledge of business workflow within Unum in general, and functional area(s) in particular
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.