Northern Light Mercy Hospital
Department: Medical Group Administration
Position is located: Mercy Westbrook
Work Type: Part Time Eligible
Hours: 24 hr/wk
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Under supervision from the Director Pharmacy Services and/or Staff Pharmacist, the Technician performs billing for pharmaceuticals, receives and stocks department supplies, prepares medications for prenatal through geriatric in-patients and outpatients. The incumbent must perform all duties and tasks in accordance with performance standards established for the job.The incumbent may have access to highly confidential patient, employee and/or Mercy proprietary information, and must handle & protect the information in accordance with hospital & system policies, HIPAA requirements and the highest level of ethical standards. The incumbent is responsible for reporting all security events, potential events, or other security risks to the organization. The incumbent is responsible for participation in and completion of all patient safety initiatives appropriate to the position.In addition, the incumbent conducts all job responsibilities according to theMission
and Values of Mercy Hospital.
1.Oversees pharmaceutical inventory using PYXIS system and assists with processing patient charges and preparation of medications for dispensing.
·Selects correct medications and quantities.
·Accurately restocks medications to the correct pocket
·Outdates medications as necessary
·Documents charges when necessary.
·Performs Pyxis functions accurately and timely.
·Delivers stock in a timely manner.
·Troubleshoots issues with machines.
·Performs monthly unit inspections using appropriate documentation form.
2.Prepares compounds and dispenses medications, and sterile compounds upon physician's orders.
·Selects correct solutions and medications and performs accurate dosage calculations.
·Prepares medications and sterile compounds employing correct aseptic technique.
·Adheres to inspection control procedures for IV room and maintains logs.
·Documents appropriately including charges/credits.
·Restocks returned medications when appropriate.
·Delivers medications in a timely manner.
3.Maintains accurate control substance inventory.
·Selects correct medications and quantities.
·Documents discrepancies when necessary.
·Reviews the CII safe to Pyxis Report at close of shift.
·Assists nursing in review of discrepancies
4.Repackages and bar codes medications as necessary.
·Selects correct medications.
·Prepares accurate labels including bar codes.
·Packages and labels correctly.
·Enters bar code information into Meditech
·Reviews and Corrects Bar code error sheets daily from nursing units
5.Assists in maintaining appropriate stock levels.
·Supplies reorder information to Pharmacy Buyer.
·Orders IV solutions and other supplies utilizing the Online Ordering System.
·Restocks work areas as necessary.
·Receives wholesale and direct orders in the absence of the Pharmacy Buyer.
·Cleans and dusts medications storage areas as necessary.
·Documents borrow/loan transactions.
·Removes outdates from shelves
6.Performs additional duties as required or assigned.
·Assists pharmacists, physicians, nurses, and staff as needed within legal scope of a pharmacy technician.
·Attends training classes, programs, and departmental meetings.
·Performs other duties as assigned
Licensure through Maine
Pharmacy Board as either a Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Intern.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Pharmacy Technician
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous sitting.