Northern Light Mercy Hospital
Department: Gastroenterology Clinic
Position is located: Mercy Gastroenterology
Work Type: Full Time
Hours: 40 hours per week
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
The Medical Assistant works in collaboration with all members of the care team providing high quality compassionate care consistent with Mercy’s Mission and Values. This is accomplished by being primarily responsible for ensuring efficient patient flow, working to actively enhance patient relationships and loyalty, pre-planning for patient visits, managing visit cycle time, office workflows, and patient access (phone, scheduling), assisting assigned provider and care team with rooming and patient care procedures, including electronic and written documentation, and coordinating patient activities that support managing the targeted population’s health. The incumbent performs duties and tasks in accordance with standards established for the job. The incumbent may have access to highly confidential patient, employee and/or Mercy proprietary information, and must handle & protect the information in accordance with hospital & system policies, HIPAA requirements and the highest level of ethical standards. The incumbent is responsible for reporting all security events, potential events, or other security risks to the organization. The incumbent is responsible for participation in and completion of all patient safety initiatives appropriate to the position, and conducts all job responsibilities according to the Mission and Values of Mercy Hospital.
The Medical Assistant, under the direction and supervision of the provider, will have the following clinical skills, knowledge and abilities. This will be demonstrated by the ability to consistently and accurately obtain/perform the following: 1. Identify necessary equipment and materials for patient visits 2. Room patients in accordance with established guidelines and visit purpose/types (including but not limited to: Document chief complaint; Document accurate vital signs; Confirm med list with patient; Confirm pharmacy; Document smoking status; Document depression screening; Document fall risk; Assess and administer appropriate immunizations. 3. Communicates pertinent patient medical information and findings in a timely manner to the patient and/or appropriate staff person in a respectful clear, concise manner 4. Accurately performs office procedures 5. Schedule patient appointments 6. Proper preparation of lab specimens 7. Set up prescription refill per guidelines 8. Report lab and diagnostic results per guidelines 9. Documentation of patient encounters (including face to face, phone and patient portal) into multiple systems, including EMR, to comply with organizational initiatives including: PCMH, Meaningful Use, and the Beacon ACO measures. 10. Assist and/or chaperone patient procedures 11. Manage provider paper documents as applicable 12. Respond to patient phone calls in a timely manner The Medical Assistant will perform the following responsibilities as applicable: 1. Prepare and conduct EKGs, eye and auditory screening, phlebotomy and ear lavage 2. Assist with casting and splinting 3. Prepare patient health information via electronic records (pre-visit prep) for all scheduled appointments 4. Perform and document immunizations (including IMMPACT as applicable) and injections Key Outcomes: 1. Facilitates patient-centered visit by ensuring proper screening, documentation, and/or testing has been completed 2. Ensures all consults and charts are prepared or scanned, downloaded and communicated in preparation for patient contact 3. With provider supervision, work in provider tasks, review and assist in other population health management functions 4. Coordinates and manages provider’s tasks activity (i.e., lab result reporting, phone calls, order entry, Rx processing, and outreach efforts) following standard processes and guidelines in oversight of meeting provider and patient needs 5. Collect clinical information and communicates to provider 6. Performs direct patient care services in accordance with clinical guidelines in a patient-centered manner. 7. Ensure provider schedule meets the needs of patients (visit and non-visit) 8. Ensures patients are roomed and ready for provider within 7 minutes of appointment time 9. Participates in daily huddles and weekly team meetings to improve workflows and contribute to improving patient population outcomes. 10. Performs and documents necessary ancillary tests such as EKGs, PFTs, Peak Flow Rates, Rapid Strep, HCG’s, Glucose Checks, and FOBT’s. May perform various CLIA waived lab tests as ordered by provider. Competent in following process of recording waived testing quality requirements. Performs and documents lab specimen collection/processing, eye screening and audiology screening in accordance with current guidelines and policies. (If applicable) 11. Administer immunizations and medications in accordance with current guidelines ensuring level and scope of practice standards. (If applicable) 12. Ensure exam rooms are prepared for patient visits, including equipment operability, supply inventory, and utilizing standard infection control guides and stocking procedures 13. Ensure patient care equipment operates in accordance with quality standards 14. Provides patient education in support of patient visit and ongoing care as directed by provider. 15. Assist with orientation and training of new staff members 16. Maintain clinical/technical skills and knowledge through ongoing development and continuing education. 17. Demonstrates age-specific competencies: communicate with each patient in a way that is appropriate to his or her particular age, capabilities or disabilities, temporary impairments, emotions, stresses, culture, and individual station 18. Set up follow up letters and reminders for service 19. All other duties as assigned
BLS for Healthcare professional certification is required at time of hire. Medical Assistant Certification required (or obtained within 6 months of hire).
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
Completion of medical assistant program enabling incumbent the ability to sit for Medical Assistant certification exam
Minimum of four years of relevant work experience and certification as a medical assistant.
Associates degree strongly preferred
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous sitting.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status