New Grad RN rate: $30/hour
$2000 Sign on bonus!
JOB SUMMARY AND SCOPE
Under the general direction of the Unit Director, independently provides holistic, individualized care using the nursing process for patients routinely seen on the unit. Demonstrates clinical competency, nursing judgment, teaching skills, as well as a commitment to improving the quality of patient care. Independently performs general and unit specific clinical skills. Performs the functions of a Registered Nurse in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating all assigned patient care under supervision of the Charge Nurse. Is responsible for adhering to all Standards of Nursing Practice, implementing and evaluating the age appropriate care of all patients in the department (antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum, nursery and post-op gyn patients), for managing supplies and equipment, and for promoting teamwork with physicians and personnel of the unit and other hospital departments. RN adheres to hospital policies regarding confidentiality, sexual harassment, advance directives and American Disabilities Act. Performs Charge Nurse duties as needed. Maintains a high degree of confidentiality and supports the mission, vision and values of the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assessment of Patients: Systematically and continually assesses the health and status of the patient assuring the application of age specific standards.
- Care of the Patient: In collaboration with the patient/family, with regard to developmental, cultural and age specific differences, develops and implements patient care plans to include problems, goals, evaluations and interventions.
- Education of patient/family: Provides patient/family education with regard to assessing ability to learn, special learning needs, and evaluating effectiveness of teaching procedures.
- Surveillance, prevention and control of infection: Follows established policies, identify and reduce the risks of acquiring or transmitting infection by use of personal protective measures.
- Management of information: Documents assessments, interventions and evaluations of care objectively and timely, using the computer technology required by the department.
- Leadership: Provides clear, concise and pertinent direction to the care team, based on resources, identified patient care needs and nursing staff skill level, documents critical incidents, uses time and supplies resourcefully, functions as charge nurse as needed.
- Documents assessments, evaluation data and interventions accurately and completely in a timely fashion.
- Observes patient symptoms and changes in condition and alerts appropriate personnel. Takes expected action and intervention.
- Follows through in reporting problems or critical incidents that may adversely affect patients, staff or the unit. Uses appropriate chain of command in acting as a patient advocate.
- Utilizes safety precautions and reduces risks of acquiring or transmitting infection by using protective equipment and cleaning contaminated bay equipment.
- Provides clear, concise and pertinent patient report of information to departments including special patient needs and concerns.
- Demonstrates motivation by assisting with unit responsibilities. These may include chart review, inventory, precepting new employees, or completing QI projects.
- Attends 75% of Unit Staff Meetings.
- Responds with flexibility in an attention to high and low fluctuations in staffing needs according to census.
- Works effectively with students as appropriate.
- Remain knowledgeable of all department equipment and supplies; report need for necessary repairs and replacements. Restock all supplies as necessary.
- Knowledge of the disaster, fire, bomb threat and evacuation plans and role in the plans as they relate to the unit.
- Seeks out needed information by staying informed and involved by attending meetings, reading memos, policies, meeting minutes, newsletters, email and other appropriate information in a timely manner.
- Uses patient handling equipment appropriate to the needs of the individual patient in keeping with the Safe Patient and Handling and Movement Policy.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality, including observing appropriate break times and extending a scheduled shift when necessary to meet patient demands
- Performs duties in a safe manner, in compliance with all safety policies and procedures
- Complies with the Code of Conduct and all appropriate policies and procedures
- Completion of annual EFM training
- Other duties, as assigned, that are relevant to the position and department
- One year minimum of acute care experience as an RN.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- Successfully completes general nursing and unit orientation.
- Effective communication skills; both orally and written.
- Computer skills needed.
- Ability to work with others within a team to ensure quality patient care.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Current BLS
- Neonatal Resuscitation Certificate within 6 months of hire.
- STABLE within 2 years
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENT
Clinical: Frequently lifts up to 35 pounds independently. Frequently pushes/pulls 100 pounds using mechanical and other assistive devices. Walks, stands, kneels, bends most of the time. Exhibits fine motor skills and manual dexterity necessary to perform the essential job functions of the position. Visual acuity correctable to 20/20. Color vision is necessary. Normal hearing acuity.
Exposure Category I: Employee at risk for exposure to blood borne pathogens. Employee will properly utilize Personal Protective Equipment provided to minimize risk of exposure as directed by Infection Control Policies.
- Maintains current knowledge of the hospital-wide Quality Improvement Program.
- Collaborates with management to improve the effectiveness of the department through the Quality Improvement plans and processes.
- Participates in the departmental and hospital-wide Quality Improvement activities as directed by the manager.
- Adheres to the federal, state, and local statutes and regulations.
- Adheres to the Compliance Program policies and procedures of Down East Community.
- Adheres to all Privacy and Security policies and procedures of Down East Community.
- Communicates any concern related to compliance issues to manager of department Compliance Officer.
- Communicates any concern related to confidentiality issues to the Privacy Officer.