Job Posting End Date: 07/14
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:Unum is in the midst of an exciting digital transformation. Part of that transformation is ensuring that our existing employees have opportunity for learning, growth, and recognition, and that we are building and attracting the right talent to augment the organization. This position is part of our Digital DNA organization and focused on talent and culture strategy and initiatives that will ensure success in Unum’s Digital transformation. Current priorities for the team include development and delivery of a new Digital On-Boarding program, Digital Culture initiatives focused on upskilling, and development and delivery of an IT “Digital Development Program” rotation program to build our talent pipeline.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers results for medium and large cross-functional project initiatives within established time-frames and quality measures.
- Utilizes advanced level project management skills and extensive knowledge of the System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies to manage assigned projects.
- Consults with business leaders to translate a project idea into a defined project with goals, objectives and scope.
- Identifies resources needed, negotiates with people managers as required to lead a project team, ensuring clarity of project roles and responsibilities, so that all project plans are completed within defined timeframes, meeting objectives and strategic goals.
- Develops and implements communication and reporting mechanisms to manage issues, risks, and timely delivery of initiative results. Translates project goals and objectives into a defined future state and project success measures that can be understood by project stakeholders, project team, and others.
- Ensures business needs and objectives are effectively captured in functional and non-functional business requirements for a system, process, or workflow.
- Oversees business requirements to meet expected business solutions and traces delivery of requirements through testing to final implementation.
- Ensures that project documentation is complete, current and archived appropriately.
- Proactively identifies barriers and resolves issues, determining contingency plans (executing as needed), while mitigating risk. Escalates issues to appropriate audiences for awareness and/or additional support.
- Proactively establishes and maintains cooperative, productive cross-functional partnerships on current projects and deliverables and prepares for future project opportunities.
- Promotes the benefits of change and acts as a catalyst for change across the corporation and adapts to changes imposed by others.
- Organizes and directs the activities of cross-functional project teams. Prioritize tasks to meet deliverables and commitments on time. Ensures that project members’ time and experience is well utilized. Recommends alternatives/options to minimize any schedule delay.
- Shares project experience/knowledge and mentors others across the corporation to help build project management skills.
- The ideal candidate will:
- Thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Have experience in providing strong program management/delivery
- Be able to provide strategic thought leadership
- Have strong technical acumen
- Have experience driving and implementing talent initiatives
- Experience in Agile Program Management
- Experience in change management disciplines and principles
- Experience in developing and delivering training programs and materials
- Strong interpersonal communications and presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate at all levels of the organization
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent relevant work experience
- PMP designation is preferred
- Extensive knowledge/understanding of SDLC methodologies
- Extensive knowledge of logical data model/management
- Extensive knowledge of Unum’s products and businesses is preferred
- Exceptional ability to work effectively in a dynamic, rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Exceptional ability to negotiate effectively with business and IT partners on business requirements and timeframes on large initiatives
- Exceptional ability to rally support among peers and work effectively in challenging situations
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to balance the need to gather detail with the need to solve the problem
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Has advanced PC skills (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc.)
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.