Casco Bay Island Transit District, affectionately known as Casco Bay Lines (“CBL”), Portland Maine’s Iconic Ferry serving the islands of Casco Bay, is hiring a Director of Finance & Human Resources. With a $9M Operating budget and a $60M capital budget, CBL ferries transport more than one million passengers, 35,000 vehicles and over 500,000 pieces of freight annually and have maintained continuous, uninterrupted service for the past 40 years! While this impressive operation has been the lifeline to the islands for over 150 years and become a cultural mainstay in the greater Portland area, CBL has earned national and global recognition as an innovative leader in the transit industry through cutting edge initiatives.
Working at Casco Bay Lines will be more than just a job. With a small leadership team and a collaborative work environment, it’s an “all hands-on deck” vibe, with pun intended! Employees are like family and Casco Bay Lines wants them to feel that way. This must be why the average employee tenure at CBL is over 16 years!
The DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND HUMAN RESOURCES will lead a small internal team and play a critical role in partnering with senior leadership to lead strategy and operational decision making for Finance and Human Resources, as well as overseeing policy and process for employees. With the presence of state, federal and local funding sources, this position will hold a critical role in the strategic financial management of the organization.
Position Responsibilities in FINANCE & HUMAN RESOURCES:
- Oversee financial reporting and statements and lead the annual and federal audit process.
- Liaise with the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors as well as external auditors, making process adjustments and assessing changes as necessary as well as communicating financial matters to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee and manage budgeting process with the senior leadership, administering plans and monitoring progress and changes.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Fund management for Grants from various sources such as FTA, DOT, State of Maine, Maine DOT and MARAD and oversee grants accounting.
- Align the district’s financial policies and reserves with long range plans and strategic initiatives.
- Manage employee relations and lead employees through company policy and process when needed, maintaining a positive working relationship with employees, directors and customers.
- Administer benefit plans for employees including changes, adjustments and open enrollment process.
- Develop and implement new HR functions and oversee professional development, training and recruiting processes.
- Prevent and resolve problems involving individuals that arise out of or affect work situations.
- Oversee organizational compliance with civil rights programs, personnel and safety laws and regulations.
- 7-10 years of combined Finance and Human Resources leadership experience, including employee relations leadership, HR policy management, as well as strategic finance with the goal of leading investments and the overall success of the organization.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in business, management, accounting, finance, or related field is Required. MBA is preferred.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to stakeholders who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Experience in managing and evaluating the organization's short- and long-range fiscal function and performance.
- Excellent written and oral communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced and hands-on environment.
Casco Bay Lines offers competitive benefits including health, dental, pension, PTO and free ferry tickets for your family! This is a rare opportunity – you might want to consider coming aboard.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS, PLEASE
Casco Bay Lines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.? All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.?