Director of Institutional Advancement
Saint Dominic Academy, Auburn, Maine
Saint Dominic Academy is a Catholic Diocesan School, vibrant and growing. We are seeking a leader and strategist with the capability of articulating the vision and mission of the Academy and securing funding for the Academy. This position will (1) set organizational fundraising strategy, (2) cultivate and solicit major gifts around the country, and (3) be responsible for the long-term financial fundraising strategy for the Academy, as well as managing annual fundraising efforts. They will grow a stakeholder base, including alumni and major donors focused on soliciting major gifts for the expansion and growth of the Academy.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Set Overall Fundraising Strategy:
- Working with the Administration and the Board, develop annual fundraising goals and strategy for the Academy.
- Lead the promulgation of and execution of strategic fundraising priorities.
- After annual and long-term vision has been developed, create resources and materials to execute campaigns. Establish campaign committees as needed to drive Saint Dominic Academy success.
- Cultivate and solicit major gifts around the country
- Identification: Identify prospective donors from the Saint Dominic Academy community as well as new prospective donors outside the Saint Dominic Academy community. Strategically network with groups where donors can be fostered.
- Cultivation and Solicitation: Prepare and execute appropriate solicitation of gifts driven by annual goals.
- Lead a Team including Advancement Staff and Volunteers
- Work with the Diocese Advancement team and the Diocese Catholic School office to grow the annual alumni fund and increase stewardship.
- Work with the Academy Board, Assistant Director of Development and volunteers to successfully complete goals and objectives.
- Help enable regional volunteer campaign committees as strategy dictates.
- Oversee and help set annual goals for the team members responsible for annual alumni events, donor recognition, and donor management.
- Oversee team members responsible for, and secure additional, corporate sponsors and grants.
- Build out a planned giving and legacy program.
- Report quarterly to the Saint Dominic Academy Board.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has a deep passion for Catholic Education.
- We are seeking someone who shares a passion for Catholic Education.
- Really, genuinely enjoys "sales" – has sales experience, ideally in a team-selling environment.
- Traditional fundraising experience is not necessary – instead, we are focused on candidates who are dynamic storytellers, who are bold in asking for investments.
- Has an elevated level of persistence and drive.
- Has real goals to meet, and this person must keep going after the goal (in a thoughtful way), despite roadblocks and rejections. This person needs to lead others to accomplish the goal as well.
- Has a contagious level of joy and optimism.
- This is a person who can help cast vision and get people excited to join us on mission.
- Willingness to work a hybrid model, virtual and as needed on the Academy campus, located in Auburn Maine.
- This person will need to work with Diocese Leadership and the Saint Dominic Academy Administration and Board. They must also be willing to travel and work nights and weekends.
Essential Requirements of the Advancement Director:
- Active, practicing Catholic in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church, as verified by the candidate's pastor. Ability to have a clear background check.
- Carries the Saint Dominic Academy Culture: “Consistent with Catholic tradition, Saint Dominic Academy teaches its students Veritas Vitae, the Truth of Life, through study, prayer, community, and service.”
- Possesses a prominent level of organizational and time-management skills, ability to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability in developing and cultivating personal and professional relationships with a variety of age groups
- Capable of speaking passionately and convincingly in front of an audience and in a one-on-one setting.
- Carries a sincere, authentic, and trustworthy disposition, listens with a sensitivity to other perspectives.
- Familiarity with database systems, content marketing, tax deductions, estate gifts and planned giving.
Send a resume to Marianne.Pelletier@Portlanddiocese.org along with a 3–5-minute video explaining why you are excited about this position and why we should be excited about you joining our team.
Resumes without a video will not be considered for the position. The video can be filmed from a phone, no editing is needed.