New England Marine Monitoring (NEMM) is a for profit company launched in 2019 and is a leader in the field of electronic monitoring of fisheries, or EM, which is the use of cameras and sensors to collect data aboard fishing vessels. NEMM is highly focused on the application of artificial intelligence systems to improve monitoring, reduce costs, and produce data-based products. Currently NEMM has 10 employees across New England, and has offices in Portland, Maine and New Bedford, MA. The company has recently received outside investment and is projecting significant growth in the next three years and beyond.
NEMM is seeking a motivated Finance Director who can grow with the company and establish an efficient finance and accounting team over time. The right candidate will need to fill the roles of bookkeeper and controller but have the potential to grow into a strategic leadership position focused on forecasting, business planning, KPI analysis, and presenting to investors. NEMM is seeking a data driven individual.
The Finance Director is responsible for maintaining all accounting systems, entries, payroll, time tracking, reporting, and financial records of the company. They will also assist the CEO with HR requirements and insurance.
Reports to CEO
Location: New Bedford, MA or Portland, ME. Remote work possible.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- At least 5 years experience in finance/accounting
- Significant experience in contract management including an understanding of for-profit contracts, federal grants management, and reporting requirements
- Proficiency in Quickbooks and MS Excel required, experience with Paylocity and Replicon a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Financial analysis experience
- Ability to report financials and develop forecast models
- Familiarity with and ability to adhere to all finance, human resource, and accounting regulatory policies, procedures, and best practices
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initially the duties will include everything from accounting leadership to performing all aspects of day-to-day accounting processes, including but not limited to: cash management, A/P, contract billing, banking, investments, general ledger activity, and payroll
- As the company grows, hire and supervise accounting personnel
- Perform monthly close process
- Prepare monthly financial statements for CEO and Board
- Reconcile/import biweekly payroll from third party vendor
- Reconcile/import biweekly timesheet and expense data from third party vendor
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of monthly contract billing
- Oversee financial administration of federal research and development grants
- Maintain accounting procedures and appropriate internal controls to ensure integrity of financial systems
- Assist CEO with company’s insurance and HR needs
- Coordinate completion and submittal annual and quarterly payroll taxes as well as other relevant tax filings
- Financial analysis and modeling
To apply please send your cover letter and resume.
NEMM offers a strong benefits package. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. NEMM is an equal opportunity employer.