Job Posting End Date: 07/12
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This position is accountable for the accurate and efficient intake of new claims. The incumbent will be responsible identifying and supporting multiple products with a core/baseline proficiency of Short-Term Disability. Associates in this role will be interacting with claimants/employers and serving as mentors for others as time in job/proficiency level is demonstrated; therefore strong customer service / communication orientation is a core competency while demonstrating the ability to operate across various systems and product workflows. The incumbent for this position will possess the talent, skills and aptitude for lateral and/or elevated advancement at Unum.
What we offer:
- Minimum $15.00 hourly wage
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits available on the first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Plan along with 401K matching to help you plan for your retirement
- Paid Time Off, holiday and leave programs
- Flexible Breaks
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Family Leave
- Employee assistance programs
- Business casual dress code
- Onsite fitness and dining facilities
- Volunteer opportunities
- Employee resource groups with a strong focus on diversity and inclusion
What we expect from you:
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Systematic initiation of new claims in support of various Unum product types utilizing the appropriate claim adjudication system.
- Perform a policy coverage search to determine claim filing eligibility and process/triage based on standard and/or customized policy instructions.
- Manage pending/incomplete and future claims prior to triage/assignment to the corresponding claims organization/team.
- Contribute to individual quality/production expectations to ensure the achievement of organizational turnaround time expectations.
- Promote a positive customer service experience through prompt, accurate and courteous responses to internal and external customers’ expectations.
- Continue to build additional knowledge and understanding of the Unum business
- Participate in training/development of new staff.
- Identify trends, issues and innovative ideas and partner in solutions.
- Identify and capitalize on best practices to ensure consistency and optimal performance in a team based environment.
- Identify and share process improvements to enhance customer service.
- Embrace leadership by promoting a positive team environment which results in motivated and empowered peers.
- Support various project work as needed.
- May perform other duties as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Prior relevant experience, military service and/or college degree preferred
- The ability to work a varied shift from 8:00am to 8:00pm ET, Monday – Friday
- Exceptional verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
- PC skills are essential with a practical knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Demonstrate good investigative, research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, with a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment handling a large volume of work
- Action oriented, results driven and a team player that includes working with team members in a cross-site work environment
- Possess an innovative mindset and is adaptable to change; ability to deal with multiple, concurrent and rapidly changing demands
- Seeks out job challenges and opportunities to constantly improve skills
- Strong work ethic with consistent job attendance history
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.