Job Posting End Date: 12/06
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This is a position within the Accounting Center of Excellence (ACOE). This role identifies, prioritize, manages and completes Reinsurance projects. This role also supports GAAP and statutory reporting by completing the accounting close process on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis. A successful candidate has a strong accounting background, is able to work independently and collaboratively with management and subject matter experts to provide quality financial analysis. This role monitors U.S. GAAP and statutory accounting standards issued by the FASB and the NAIC as well as reinsurance industry trends. The role also partners with the Actuarial team, business area CFOs, Segment Leads, Financial Reporting and FP&A to provide financial analyses for reinsurance reporting, planning and the business decision making process.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Administration of various Reinsurance treaties - settlements: claims, premiums, commission, and other expenses
- Mentor and oversee work of less experienced team members
- Reconcile and balance accounts related to the specific financial area to maintain control and accuracy by identifying discrepancies and their cause and recommendations for corrective action.
- Use knowledge and skills to make appropriate recommendations for efficiencies and to enhance productivity
- Maintain integrity of data in various systems and data assets that support the specific financial areas (e.g. accounting, planning, and administrative systems)
- Analyze financial data, provide recommendations for appropriate action, and prepare related reports in consultation with business partner
- Demonstrate ability to utilize resources and produce results to solve problems or issues with minimal support
- Accept responsibility for outcome of his/her own efforts
- Partner effectively with business management (typically at an officer level) to provide solutions that deliver business value
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management
- Maintain a strong, specialized working knowledge of Unum’s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience at Unum that well prepares and qualifies the individual for the specific work to be performed
- CPA, CMA or CFA certification strongly preferred
- 3-5 years comparable work experience
- Strong understanding of the components of multiple financial statements and how they interact with one another
- Experience navigating change in a positive way
- Has mastered solid customer service skills while working effectively with functional area, team and other resources to complete assigned work while broadening contacts in other functional areas
- Highly motivated individual able to take independent actions to solve problems/issues with limited involvement from manager
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously with minimal guidance from manager
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills with all levels of management; Adept at handling group dynamics
- Ability to link understanding of business processes, business drivers, and changes to other areas and financial results and trends
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience preferred
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.