Northern Light Mercy Hospital
Department: Respiratory Therapy
Position is located: Mercy State Street
Work Type: Full Time
Hours: 36 hours per week
Work Schedule: 6:30 AM to 7:00 PM
The purpose of this job is to administer therapeutic and diagnostic services for respiratory services, education to patients and staff, and to maintain equipment.
- Performs respiratory testing as required - with accuracy and timeliness
- Proper utilization of all resources required by job (equipment, supplies, finances, time)
- Train and act as resource for the nursing staff in all SVH departments to monitor/control respiratory equipment. Checking the knowledge level of all nursing staff.
- Provide treatments for inpatients and emergency patients in a timely manner.
- Respond to emergency calls for respiratory assistance as soon as possible – at least by telephone.
- Able to independently operate C-pap, Bi-pap ventilator or other equipment required for patient treatment.
- Follow all patient testing / treatments through to completion – charting/charging and reporting to PCP
- Educate Pulmonary Rehabilitation Patients
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times – following the privacy & confidentiality policies
- Assess each patient for physical and mental capabilities – as well as patient’s level of understanding
- Maintains all equipment in quality condition – calling appropriate service personnel as required.
- Maintains supply inventory
- Checks and rearranges patient exams to allow for smooth running of department – working closely with scheduler.
- Maintain a safe environment which includes knowing and understanding hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Report and directly address identified environmental hazards when appropriate.
- Report and directly address violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
Registered Respiratory Therapist Required.
Competencies and skills:
* 1+ years of relative work experience required.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
* Utilizes Resources Effectively: Understands how to get the most out of available resources and uses cost-benefit thinking in decision-making and in setting priorities. Monitors and analyzes resource usage to identify and eliminate areas of waste and maximize resources. As a leader, defines targets and provides appropriate means; oversees progress and makes adjustments when necessary. Appropriately delegates work, sets clear direction and manages workflow and time.
* Maine Respiratory Therapist license or eligible to obtain. BLS/ACLS required.
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Work beyond the regularly scheduled hours.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status