The Dental Assistant directly assists Dentist in the delivery of dental care to patients.
- Assist in the preparation of the dental office for the day.
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Cleans and sterilizes dental instruments according to infection control protocols and on a regular schedule.
- Takes and prepares x-rays for dentist review and reference using dental radiology standards.
- Mixes dental materials appropriately.
- Escorts patient to treatment room and prepares patient for the dentist and the applicable procedure(s).
- Updates patient's medical history; takes and records blood pressure and pulse.
- Assists dentist at chair side in four-handed dentistry techniques; anticipates dentist's needs while at chair side.
- Assists Dental Hygienist as needed with charting and set-up/sterilization of hygiene treatment rooms and equipment.
- Provides patient education as appropriate to the situation, and encourages good home oral hygiene.
- Maintains safe, clean and organized working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; etc.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; performs year-end inventory.
- May fill in at front desk as needed.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
++QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED FOR POSITION++:Experience and Skill Requirements: The following experience and skills are considered essential:
- At least one year of experience as a Dental Assistant strongly preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and other employees.
- Ability to communicate and present information.
- Ability to read, interpret, understand and apply clinical policies and procedures.
- Ability to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities.
Education Requirements: The following education requirements are considered essential:
- High School Diploma or the equivalent is required.
- Dental assistant training strongly preferred.
Current State of Maine radiology license required.