Northern Light Acadia Hospital
Department: Addiction Medicine Clinic
Position is located: Acadia
Work Type: PRN
FTE: 0.000100: Per Diem
Work Schedule: 5:00 AM to 2:00 PM
A Psychiatric Technician I is an integral part of the inter-disciplinary team. The Psychiatric Technician I will draw upon knowledge and skills to respond to current milieu and individualized patient needs. He/she will collaborate with the rest of the team to tailor interventions to meet individualized patient care needs. Perform any duties and/or responsibilities assigned by Manager or Supervisor for which qualified.
- Carries out daily patient assignment and assists other staff members as needed.
- Responds to patient call for assistance.
- Understands needs of patient to complete ADL’s and assists as needed, per scope of practice.
- Monitors patient intake of food and fluids; assists and feeds as needed; recognizes dietary concerns and reports to charge nurse.
- Understands needs of patient regarding admission, discharge and transfer. Assists as needed.
- Accompanies patients both on and off grounds for appointments and therapeutic activities.
- Accurately documents patient care as described in the policy and procedure for nursing documentation.
- Encourages and facilitates patient participation in all appropriate milieu activities.
- Recognizes changes in patient status and reports to charge nurse.
- Co-facilitates groups with other nursing staff for 1st 90 days; facilitates nursing groups after 90 days.
- Attends report at change of shift as assigned. Provides relevant information to team members.
- Attends team meetings when assigned.
- Establishes therapeutic rapport and maintains appropriate boundaries with patients.
- Recognizes age related needs and provides patient care accordingly.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Extend body and limbs to reach items.
* Continuous sitting.
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Northern Light Acadia Hospital is an acute care, regional psychiatric hospital in Bangor, Maine that is a leader in the provision of tele-psychiatry services, including consultations to regional emergency departments and primary care practices. Northern Light Acadia Hospital offers innovative programming in the form of a behavioral home health, integrated behavioral healthcare in primary care practices, and a geriatric mood and memory clinic, which is involved in multiple clinical trials for promising Alzheimer's medications. The hospital is the sole corporate member of Northern Light Acadia Healthcare that provides a substance use disorder treatment program, case management services, and other outpatient mental health services in Penobscot, Waldo, and Knox counties. Northern Light Acadia Healthcare is the sole member of Restorative Health, LLC that operates an outpatient mental health clinic in Bangor. Northern Light Acadia Hospital is a member of Northern Light Health, an integrated statewide health delivery system that is raising the bar with no-nonsense solutions that are leading the way to a healthier future for our state. Northern Light Health offers a broad range of providers and services, including nine hospitals, primary care and specialty physician practices, long-term care, home health and hospice agencies, and emergency ground and air transport.
Bangor, Maine is a vibrant small city with easy access to Maine's spectacular coast, mountains, and lakes. Schools rank among New England's best with the flagship campus of the University of Maine located in the neighboring town of Orono. Bangor serves as the regional hub for medicine, the arts, and commerce. Bangor International Airport offers direct and one-stop service to most major destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status