Job Posting End Date: 10/11
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This is a year round, paid internship position responsible for completing assigned work items in a timely manner and ensuring high quality service to business partners. The assigned work can be from different business areas and can vary in complexity and type.
•Gain real world experience working for the leader in the supplemental insurance and disability-based employee benefits marketplace and in a professional office setting.
•Earn year-round competitive income while working part-time
•Learn about various departmental and corporate functions.
•Network with business partners and leaders, participate in social events with other interns
•Earn college credit for your internship (faculty/hiring manager pre-approvals are required)
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high quality transactional support to business areas with a keen focus on productivity, accuracy and customer service
- Develop effective partnerships and work effectively with various areas as required
- Operate as a team player which includes backing up peers, constructively addressing conflict and giving/receiving feedback
- Must strictly adhere to privacy guidelines.
- May perform other duties as assigned or as opportunities arise.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited 4 year college degree program or in an MBA program
- Prefer satisfactory completion of 2 years of college course work
- Required GPA of 3.0 in major or overall GPA of 3.0
- Demonstrated openness to mastering new tasks and work processes
- Solid critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Must be comfortable in a culture of coaching, ongoing feedback and career development
- Display team oriented skills.
- Must be proficient in MS Word and Excel software applications.
- Strong ability to work independently and be self directed on project or tasked-based work.
- Strong time management skills, ability to prioritize and function in a FIFO, high production, deadline driven environment.
- Strong Customer Service focus. Requires flexibility in schedule so as to meet our customer expectations.
- Solid communication skills both oral and written.
- All interns must complete a satisfactory background check in order to be hired.
- Intern must be available to work at least 15 hours consistently during regular business hours Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm. May work up to 40 hours per week during school vacations/breaks based on business needs regular business hours Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm.
Hiring now for roles starting in August, September & October 2019 ?
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.