As part of a highly-collaborative HR team, the Talent Acquisition Specialist is responsible for engaging with leadership and hiring managers to assess the department's staffing needs and develop and implement recruiting strategies to address those needs. The Talent Acquisition Specialist builds productive relationships with campus and community partners, develops effective plans to source and attract a diverse and qualified candidate pool and creates and delivers training that expands the hiring manager's skillset as well as the new employee experience.
- Builds productive relationships with a variety of key stakeholders, including department leadership, hiring managers, industry organizations and community partners to explore and cultivate viable talent pipelines
- Works closely with hiring managers to determine staffing needs and develop and implement effective recruiting plans for each role
- Sources, attracts, and identifies potential candidates using various approaches including LinkedIn and other social media outlets
- Administers the Applicant Tracking System platform, preparing and reviewing job descriptions, posting open positions, and monitoring and appropriately dispositioning candidates
- Manages all aspects of the recruitment process including advertising, pre-screening, background and reference checks, candidate communications and offer letters
- Develops and delivers training to hiring managers on best practices in the areas of recruitment and retention
- Creates tools and training to enhance the onboarding and first year employee experience
- Assists the HR team with New Hire Orientation and Employee Onboarding programs
- Collaborates with the Bates Communication Office in creating timely and engaging marketing collateral
- Participates in recruitment opportunities, including career fairs and other professional events
- Networks with other HR professionals to share industry best practices, recruitment startegies and techniques
- Associate's degree in Human Resources or related field; Bachelor's degree preferred
- Minimum of three years of recruiting or human resources experience in a professional office setting
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
Skills and Knowledge
- Commitment to equity and inclusion, and serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse community
- Demonstrated interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Effective time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to solve challenges, work independently and handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision
- Working understanding of human resources principles and practices
- Proficiency in computer software and recruiting platforms
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, sick leave, 24 days of vacation, 2 personal days, 12 paid holidays, dependent care subsidy, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at email@example.com.
Bates is internationally recognized as a leading liberal arts college, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around the world.
Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative residential community. Committed to opportunity and excellence, Bates has always admitted students without regard to gender, race, religion, or national origin.
Cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action, Bates prepares leaders sustained by a love of learning and zeal for responsible stewardship of the wider world. Bates engages the forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology — that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has highly competitive admissions, graduates over 90 percent of its entering students, and more than half of its alumni earn graduate degrees. Bates employs 200 faculty members and 550 staff.
The college is proud of deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn community, Maine’s second-largest urban area with a population of approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 133-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, an emerging city with an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.