Schedule: Regular Full-time
The Medical Assistant works in collaboration with all members of the care team providing high quality compassionate care consistent with Mercy's Mission and Values. This is accomplished by being primarily responsible for ensuring efficient patient flow, working to actively enhance patient relationships and loyalty, pre-planning for patient visits, managing visit cycle time, office workflows, and patient access (phone, scheduling), assisting assigned provider and care team with rooming and patient care procedures, including electronic and written documentation, and coordinating patient activities that support managing the targeted population's health. The incumbent is responsible for participation in and completion of all patient safety initiatives appropriate to the position, and conducts all job responsibilities according to the Mission and Values of Mercy Hospital.
BLS for Healthcare professional certification isrequired.
Completion of an approved Medical Assistantprogram; certification required within 6 months of hire date
A minimum of four years relevant work experience;certification required at time of hire.
In addition, the incumbent will have knowledge of medical terminology and will be computer literate. Must possess communication skills that provides timely, concise, and audience appropriate information orally and/in writing. Initiative that proactively focuses efforts and energy on successfully attaining goals and objectives. Work habits and productivity able to maximize time to produce timely, quality results. Teamwork and relationship with others that allows collaboration with a variety of individuals by establishing and maintaining constructive relationships. Customer focus that demonstrates commitment to meeting and exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers.
The Medical Assistant, under the direction and supervision of the provider, will have the following clinical skills, knowledge and abilities. This will be demonstrated by the ability to consistently and accurately obtain/perform the following:
1. Identify necessary equipment and materials for patient visits
2. Room patients in accordance with established guidelines and visit purpose/types
3. Obtain and record vital signs.
4. Schedule patient appointments
5. Proper preparation of lab specimens
6. Set up prescription refill per guidelines
7. Report lab and diagnostic results per guidelines.
8. Documentation of patient encounters including face to face, phone and patient portal into multiple systems, including EMR, to comply with organizational initiatives including: PCMH, Meaningful Use, and the Beacon ACO measures.
9. Assist and/or chaperone patient procedures.
The Medical Assistant will perform the following responsibilities as applicable:
10. Prepare and conduct EKGs, eye and auditory screening, phlebotomy and ear lavage
11. Assist with casting and splinting
12. Prepare patient health information via electronic records (pre-visit prep)
13. Perform and document immunizations (including IMMPACT as applicable) and injections
1. Facilitates patient-centered visit by ensuring proper screening, documentation, and/or testing has been completed.
2. Ensures all consults and charts are prepared or scanned, downloaded and communicated in preparation for patient contact.
3. With provider supervision, work in provider tasks, review and assist in other population health management functions.
4. Coordinates and manages provider's tasks activity (i.e., lab result reporting, phone calls, order entry, RX processing, and outreach efforts) following standard processes and guidelines in oversight of meeting provider and patient needs.
5. Collect clinical information and communicates to provider.
6. Performs direct patient care services in accordance with clinical guidelines in a patient-centered manner.
7. Ensure provider schedule meets the needs of patients (visit and non-visit).
8. Participates in daily huddles and weekly team meetings to improve workflows and contribute to improving patient population outcomes.
9. Performs and documents necessary ancillary tests such as EKGs, PFTs, Peak Flow Rates, Rapid Strep, HCG's, Glucose Checks, and FOBT's. May perform various waive lab tests as ordered by provider. Competent in following process of recording waive testing quality requirements. Performs and documents lab specimen collection/processing, eye screening and audiology screening in accordance with current guidelines and policies. (If applicable)
10. Administer immunizations and medications in accordance with current guidelines ensuring level and scope of practice standards. (If applicable)
11. Ensure exam rooms are prepared for patient visits, including equipment operability, supply inventory, and utilizing standard infection control guides and stocking procedures.
12. Ensure patient care equipment operates in accordance with quality standards.
13. Provides patient education in support of patient visit and ongoing care as directed by provider.
14. Assist with orientation and training of new staff members.
15. Maintain clinical/technical skills and knowledge through ongoing development and continuing education.
16. Demonstrates age-specific competencies: communicate with each patient in a way that is appropriate to his or her particular age, capabilities or disabilities, temporary impairments, emotions, stresses, culture, and individual station.
17. Set up follow up letters and reminders for service
18. All other duties as assigned
Equal Opportunity Employment
Greater Portland/Casco Bay
Healthcare | Nursing