Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:Software Engineer I is responsible for the building and/or configuration of software solutions within their business portfolio utilizing .NET/C#. They ensure software is delivered to high quality standards by collaborating with their agile team members and by leveraging unit testing and continuous integration. They participate in the estimation of work required to deliver software features.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent in years of experience
2 years+ .NET/C# and Distributed development experience
Experience with Microsoft Azure
API and web services past development experience
Experience with full integration testing and coordination
A hunger to learn and a desire to get involved in exciting work
Familiarity with Agile practices
System administration and server maintenance experience
Experience working with applications on a cloud platform, like AWS or Azure
Understanding of legacy mainframe systems and their differences
Experience with source code management tools, like Git or TFS
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications for a business area
- Responsible for communication and collaboration with key stakeholders in the delivery of features
- Design, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools. Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team
- Communicates daily with the Scrum Master or Team Lead and the Agile team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress
- Participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives; ensuring their ideas for team continuous improvement are communicated so that the overall process and team can improve sprint by sprint and readily receives feedback for self-improvement. May lead parts of same.
- Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times
- Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous integration techniques, where practical
- Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards
- Participate in Proof Of Concept work and prototyping when necessary
- Collaborates with Business Analysts to confirm understanding of business requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
- Collaborates with the agile team to establish the definition of done for each of the stages of production within the team
- Collaborate with Test Engineers and Senior Test Engineers to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints
- Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
- Collaborates with Technical Support Engineers to transition software features to a production environment ensuring that the deliveries meet application performance criteria, release standards; and ensures application and system stability.
- Automates testing of software to industry standards of software automation ensuring very high quality application/solution delivery and efficient regression of existing features
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.$60,500.00-$117,500.00
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.