Job Posting End Date: 07/26
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:As an Assistant Vice President, Legal Counsel – Transactions, you would be a member of the Unum Law Department’s Transactions team, which is composed of our technology/professional services, corporate real estate, reinsurance, SaaS and investment law practice groups. Your expertise regarding commercial contracts and technology agreements will support Unum’s business strategies and digital transformation.
The Unum Law Department is seeking an attorney who is enthusiastic, collaborative in approach, has good judgment and is able to navigate a high-volume, fast-paced practice.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides efficient, clear, and practical legal advice to business leaders throughout the commercial and technology contracting process on licensing, SaaS agreements, APIs, AI, as well as contracts with technology services providers.
- Develops a clear understanding of business needs and Unum’s technology environment.
- Drafts and negotiates complex contracts with attorneys for Unum’s counterparties.
- Participates in the contracting process in a manner that protects Unum’s legal rights and interests, maximizes value and meets the objectives of Unum business leaders for an efficient and timely contracting process.
- Participates in the maintenance and development of our team’s contract forms set, playbooks and positions on new and emerging issues.
- Engages with Unum’s information security and business areas and our privacy law attorneys during the contracting process to ensure that the contracting process takes into consideration appropriate risk management considerations.
- Provides counsel to business areas on privacy and information security risks arising from use of novel technology and third-party service providers.
- Provides training and development for Unum business leaders regarding new and emerging issues in the contracting process.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities for all Unum Law Attorneys
- Keeps the Unum Law management team apprised of and solicits their input as appropriate regarding significant legal issues.
- Incorporates new and emerging areas of the law into business plans and objectives.
- Manages work-flow from and relationships with all levels of management in the Unum business units that Unum Law advises.
- Identifies law-related training needs of Company personnel; develops and delivers training through written materials and presentations.
- Embodies Unum’s values and embraces Unum’s Code of Conduct.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school and licensed to practice law in at least one state.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in a corporate law department at a financial institution or at a law firm.
- Excellent writing skills, including experience drafting and negotiating documents for commercial transactions.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, including ability to build effective working relationships with key constituents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, research and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- An interest in and aptitude for technology and technology-based contracts.
- Familiarity with core privacy and information security concepts.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with focus, initiative and drive. Creative and agile in approach. Able to work in a high volume, fast-paced environment.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.