Northern Light Mercy Hospital
Department: Observation Unit
Position is located: Mercy Fore River
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 0.75 - 30 hours per week
Work Schedule: 7:00 PM to 7:30 AM
This position is eligible for a sign on bonus up to $12,000 and education loan repayment for RNs who meet eligibility requirements. Relocation may also be available.*
*Current employees of any Northern Light Member Organizations or those with service break less than one year are not eligible.
The Registered Nurse II is a fully competent practitioner of nursing. The incumbent is responsible for the practice of nursing according to the Rules and Regulations defined in the State of Maine Nurse Practice Act, Northern Light Health Standards of Care/Practice, policies and procedures. The Registered Nurse II is responsible for the delivery of patient care to assigned patients on a Nursing Unit, and for the supervision of other qualified staff to whom the Registered Nurse II has delegated patient care in the exercise of his/her independent judgment. The nurse plans and evaluates the nursing care for patients and families and exercises independent judgment in implementing the care him/herself or assigning the care to other qualified staff. The nurse addresses physical, spiritual, emotional and educational needs of the patient, and coordinates the plan of care with other healthcare professionals. The incumbent performs duties and tasks in accordance with performance standards established for the job.
o Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment by understanding and complying with hospital policies/procedures and national safety goals and identifying & communicating workarounds that have a potential impact on patient safety.
o Demonstrates knowledge and skills in location, operation, care and trouble-shooting of unit equipment independently.
o Performs and documents comprehensive and holistic assessments.
o Interprets and responds to abnormal diagnostic data. Anticipates potential emergency situations and intervenes safely with assistance if needed.
·Caring & Code of Conduct
o Develops a relationship with the patient/family that facilitates mutual involvement in the planning of care.
o Treats patients with courtesy and respect.
o Seeks resources for reconciling one’s own personal issues and biases.
o Demonstrates basic critical thinking skills.
o Documentation is concise, accurate, and complete reflecting adherence to hospital, regulatory and legal requirements.
- Population Specific Competency
o Completes population-specific mandatory education competencies as defined by the unit specific scope of service.
o Identifies age, cultural, or other population specific patient needs based on assessment findings.
o Works collaboratively with patients and families of diverse backgrounds to develop plan of care.
o Is tolerant of differences posed by patients and families while cognizant of personal biases.
- Evidenced Based Practice & Research
- Practice is consistent with policy and procedures.
- Understands evidence for practice change.
- Demonstrates knowledge of reliable resources to support evidenced based practice.
- Leadership and Professional Conduct
- Utilizes appropriate time management and meets the expectations for punctuality and attendance.
- Demonstrates flexibility in scheduling to support the staffing needs of patient care areas.
- Contributes to a healthy work environment by consistently utilizing effective communications with all members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Ensures continuity of care by reporting and addressing actual or potential conflict
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Actively implements and updates multidisciplinary plan of care and collaborates with internal and external resources to meet patient care needs.
- Identifies and evaluates changes in patient conditions that impact unit staffing levels or the provision of safe patient care.
- Contributes to a healthy work environment by consistently exhibiting professional behaviors and addressing interpersonal conflicts with the right person, at the right time, in the right location.
- Support colleagues in the daily care of patients on the unit.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to maximize patient care.
- Resource Management
- Identifies opportunities to improve utilization of resources.
- Professional Development
- Takes responsibility for meeting education and mandatory programs, by completing hospital and unit-based competencies (CBO).
- Obtains 12 Contact Hours or a 3-credit professional development course and 6 contact hours or as specified by individual member organization.
- Seeks opportunities to promote and advance professional growth.
- Serves on and/or contributes to the work of unit-based practice council.
- Seeks evidence in nursing literature to identify/support best practice.
- Maintains an up-to-date personal educational file on unit to demonstrate compliance with educational requirements.
- Actively participates in the peer review process.
- Performance Improvement
- Demonstrates knowledge of and contributes positively to unit-based performance improvement outcomes.
o Identifies potential safety issues to unit manager and/or unit-based practice council.
BLS certification is require
Additional education and experience may be required.
Position will need telemetry experience and ACLS certification.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Influences and Inspires: Builds enthusiasm and commitment among others to move in a desired direction and models it personally. Creates a compelling vision of success that motivates workplace initiative and energizes others to follow. Provides direction and guidance to encourage cooperation between team members in order to attain an objective. Has the ability to appropriately influence others' actions and decisions with and without express authority.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Utilizes Resources Effectively: Understands how to get the most out of available resources and uses cost-benefit thinking in decision-making and in setting priorities. Monitors and analyzes resource usage to identify and eliminate areas of waste and maximize resources. As a leader, defines targets and provides appropriate means; oversees progress and makes adjustments when necessary. Appropriately delegates work, sets clear direction and manages workflow and time.
* Registered Nurse
Education: BSN Preferred
1 year of acute care RN experience preferred.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).