About the Opportunity
About the Institute
Do you want to be part of an exciting new Institute focused on combining human and machine intelligence into working AI solutions?
We are launching a pioneering research and innovation hub in AI—one that will shape the way humans and machines collaborate for decades to come. Led by Prof. Usama Fayyad, the Institute for Experiential AI is built around the challenges and opportunities made possible by human-machine collaboration. The Institute provides a framework to design, implement, and scale AI-driven technologies in ways that make a true difference to society. Our ability to respond to the opportunities afforded to society will depend on training and building a workforce that is AI-capable and prosperous.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Here at the Institute for Experiential AI (EAI) we are committed to the highest standards in all that we do. Working at the EAI offers opportunities, an environment, and a culture that just aren’t found together anywhere else. This is the right place for you if you’re curious, motivated by the future of technology, and want to be part of a unique and diverse community that works on high-impact research, educational, business, and societal problems.
As a Business Development Manager, you will be the leading edge for the Institute for Experiential AI’s industry engagements. Collaborating with the AI Solutions Hub, Responsible AI Practice, and Membership Program, you will identify new business opportunities, qualify them, and close them. The right candidate will possess a variety of sales skills, including relationship building, self-discipline, collaborative selling, and creative problem solving.
The role requires you to interface with executive-level leaders in the data world as well as data practitioners, so understanding your audience and tailoring your message accordingly is paramount. The EAI business development org is a small team comprised of individuals who wear many hats, and you’ll be asked to take on a wide range of responsibilities as well: hunter and farmer, proposal designer and presenter, leader and collaborator.
The core KPI for this role is a revenue target. You will be selling custom AI solutions similar to consulting projects. Each opportunity is different, so an ability to understand the prospect’s needs (stated or unstated) and connect them with the right resource is crucial. While the EAI is a small organization, our value is powered by our alignment with Northeastern University’s large and complex network of resources and its educational and research mission. To leverage that alignment properly, you will need to be agile, creative, efficient, curious, and a clear communicator.
Minimum Qualifications for this Role
- 4-6 years of B2B solution selling experience, preferably in advanced technology
- Bachelor’s degree or greater.
- Strong understanding of how to navigate large organizations to drive deals to close.
- Agility, creativity, self-sufficiency, and clear communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve revenue targets in a B2B sales environment.
- Ability to build long-term value-driven relationships with stakeholders at customer organizations.
- Existing relationships with data practitioners and industry leaders in Financial services companies a plus.
Please submit the following documents in a single Word/ PDF document along with your application-
1. Cover Letter (please specify the specialization(s) you are interested in)
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- 25% - Design and develop a targeted business development plan for assigned areas and accounts of focus, and develop personal lead stream and network
- 30% - Identify, lead and close new business opportunities for AI Solutions Hub, Responsible AI projects, Exec Ed and upskilling, Sponsored faculty research, and corporate EAI memberships
- 15% - Identify opportunities to grow depth and breadth of EAI involvement with existing client partner organizations
- 25% - Create, design and present proposals and written Statements of Work
- 5% - Document and communicate business development efforts in meetings and via tools such as Salesforce
Position TypeGeneral Administration
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.