POSITION – Union: Area Operator (CMP-ME-Augusta General Office)(46247)
NUMBER OF OPEN POSITIONS: 1
LOCATION: CMP-ME-Augusta General Office
Under limited supervision, supervises monitors, regulates and coordinates the use of all substations, transmissions facilities and selected distribution facilities at 34.5 KV and below. Coordinates transmission and selected distribution outages; conducts load flows; performs contingency analysis; performs voltage control and dispatch, and coordinates all switching and tagging on the 34.5 KV system and selected distribution equipment. Coordinates the responsibilities of Area Operations with its internal and external customer to insure that optimum power system efficiency is obtained.
- Serves as central authority to direct all field work by means of dispatching orders that are in accordance with CMP Switching and Tagging Procedures. Will isolate power system permanent faults and restore customer service as well as the power system reliability expeditiously and safely. Coordinate with Line and Substation Departments to reduce exposure to “Life in Danger” situations, to ensure power system integrity is maintained and to minimize the duration of customer outages.
- Maintain sufficient reactive voltage support, and minimize losses on the 34.5 KV system, by operation of transformers LTCs and utilizations of VAR reserves.
- Performs load flow studies and contingency analysis to determine power system impact by proposed maintenance applications.
- Take advanced system operations training in voltage control, emergency procedure and other areas as needed.
- Has the authority to shed firm load as required maintaining system reliability and integrity during emergency conditions without obtaining approval from higher-level personnel.
- Manage and dispatch the Outage Management System and utilize associated support tools for outage recording and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Requirements
- Able to make decisions expeditiously and safely during emergencies
- Able to operate dispatch computer and communication equipment
- Able to perform power system contingency analysis
- Working knowledge of construction and operation of power handling equipment
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- The company shall not be required to consider Area Operators for posting for other Company jobs for two (2) years after the employee becomes fully qualified as an Area Operator, but may do so.
- At least 6 years of experience including Dispatch-related experience (i.e., substations, hydro, steam, engineering, line, etc).
- Knowledge about dynamics of a power system, dispatcher tools, relay schemes and special protection systems.
- Knowledge of the general location and characteristics of all substations, transmission lines and selected
distribution lines rated at 34.5 KV and below, within area of responsibility.
- Must have at least a two-year degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or related field or have passed the CMP ETQ exam.
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country