Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:Unum is hiring for a Business Programmer to join our team in the Products & Acquisition Journey. This is a key role that will support policy print and product implementation work associated with Product investments and Regulatory work & directly contribute to the delivery of key product initiatives. In this role you will perform a variety of programming assignments requiring knowledge of established programming procedures and data processing requirements; where you will design, code, test and implement new applications and maintain existing programs which support business area functions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent related work experience is required.
- 3 – 6+ years' experience in business or financial analysis, management reporting, or related work experience is required.
- Understanding of mainframe (IMS, TSO, DB2 tables, read/update JCL)
- Working experience in advanced tables, AFP/PDF output creation
- Understanding and prior use of Boolean and conditional logic
- Efficient skill in coding and interpreting Rules and Functions
- Experience using Exstream Dialogue tool with various dialogue capabilities.
- Workflow and basic knowledge of document compositions, style sheets, variables, rules, functions, tables, and document flow
- Desktop publishing knowledge
- Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PDF, etc.
- Knowledge of Agile methodology
- Strong attention to detail & task orientation to include analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills to work effectively with team members, support personnel, and user communities
- Ability to prioritize work under the pressure of deadlines & work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work as part of a team and also independently
- Insurance industry knowledge is preferred.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, code, test and troubleshoot programs utilizing mainframe technologies (IMS, TSO, DB2 tables, read/update JCL) having experience with advanced tables, AFP/PDF output creation
- Create requirement analysis, physical and logical design specifications, development and testing of Dialogue code and/or application components & translate functional specifications into technical specifications.
- Monitor and troubleshoot observations and/or concerns related to dialogue development-to include researching issues/defects to determine the root cause
- Review requirements with business partners, providing feedback and/or comments, and troubleshoot any implementation issues; consulting on Technical Builds
- Map driver file to include map variables to be used in document creation
- Develop complex test plans to verify the logic of new or modified logic
- Write new program code using prescribed specifications and maintain programming documentation.
- Analyze the performance of programs and take actions to correct deficiencies based on consultations with users and approval of supervisor.
- Confer with users to gain an understanding of needed changes or modifications of existing programs.
- Resolve questions of program intent, data input, output requirements, and inclusion of internal checks and controls.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.