The Sr. Technology Support Specialist oversees the technical work conducted within Information Technology Services’ User Services Business unit. The position supports a Mac and PC environment, solving a wide range of application and technical problems, provides leadership, guidance, and support to the team with superior problem solving skills and a strong combination of customer service, communication, and technical abilities. This position assists with leading of a team of technical support specialists across two campuses and provides support to members of the University community via phone, email, walk-up and office visits. Technical experience includes overseeing the maintenance and imaging of laptops and desktops, troubleshooting complex hardware and software issues, having a deep understanding of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, managing software upgrades and distributions, and a strong understanding of how technology works in an enterprise level environment is essential to success in this role.
- Assist User Services Director in defining and developing departmental processes and supporting documentation.
- Manage and maintain User Services management tools and support systems.
- Assist in managing software license managers, software upgrades, and software distribution development.
- Act as an escalation point to a team of technical support specialists for technical issues while managing and communicating challenges and successes up to the User Services Director.
- Configure, deploy, retire, troubleshoot and repair Macintosh and Windows laptops, desktops and peripherals.
- Coordinate and administer the team’s prompt resolution for incoming incidents and requests reported through the university help desk.
- Provide leadership and assistance to both the Portland and Biddeford campus by maintaining an ongoing regular onsite presence to assist with technical issues.
- Provide immediate support for all classroom related issues.
- Provide guidance and feedback to users on the operation of their technology and best practices.
- Work closely with other ITS staff and departments to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
- Work with management and coworkers in User Services to complete campus wide initiatives and projects.
- Performs additional related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree preferred or a combination of four years’ experience and education in related computer field.
- Strong knowledge of encryption technologies, Windows and Apple operating systems, creating/maintaining hardware/software images, promptly resolve software/hardware and mobile computing issues.
- Experience with full disk encryption and other security related technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and familiarity with a broad range of third party applications supported by UNE.
- Knowledgeable with enterprise level networking concepts.
- Strong expertise with ServiceNow, Kace, Deep Freeze and Jamf.
- Proficient with Audio/Video technologies is a plus.
- Preferred Certifications
- CompTIA A+ Certification desired
- Any Apple certification greatly desired
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of University personnel, students, and/or outside individuals/organizations of varying experience levels
- Ability to provide professional and courteous service to a broad range of users and experience levels.
- Ability to manage projects from inception to fruition.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, multi-task environment.
- Ability to meet and enforce deadlines, take initiative, work independently to carry out complex assignments given to the technical team.
- Ability to work outside of normal office hours and travel as needed.
- Demonstrated experience leading a team through technical challenges preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to University and ITS policies and procedures is required.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Previous UNE experience a plus.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 40 lbs.
- Prior experience working in Higher Education is preferred.