Northern Light Medical Transport and Emergency Care
Department: Ambulance Transport
Position is located: Douglas Brown Building
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: Variable
Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) are skilled in patient assessment, airway management, CPR, automatic external defibrillation, oxygen delivery, dressings and hemorrhage control, splinting, spinal immobilization, childbirth, lifting and moving patients, and extrication. Our EMTs have the opportunity to use their skills in both a routine transport and emergent setting.
- Maintains all licenses and certifications required to hold current licensure and remain employed
- Cooperates and complies with established EMS’ Quality Assurance process and complies with other essential documents
- Offers flexibility in scheduling matters; willing to work late, arrive early, augments staffing when requested (call-ins) and regularly completes pager shift duty
- Maintains professional conduct; appearance, behavior, sense of responsibility, pride in the company, and willingness to mentor others; willingness to progress professionally into specialty team assignments
- Adheres to standard precautions and other personal protective equipment (PPE), due to the presence of body fluids and chemicals
- Demonstrates competency in assessing a patient, handling emergencies utilizing Basic Life Support equipment and procedures; have the ability to perform CPR, control of hemorrhage, non-invasive shock treatment, fracture and spinal stabilization, manage environmental emergencies, emergency childbirth, operation of the semi-automatic defibrillator, delivery of oxygen
- Motivated in the delivery of care, maintenance of facilities and equipment, and inventory control.
- Maintains thorough familiarity with treatment protocols, response requirements and quality assurance procedures in system in which assigned.
- Maintains awareness of any and all changes in the system components and company policy.
- Maintains the level and type of certification(s) consistent with performing tasks in the system to which assigned.
- Complies with all state and company requirements for operation of motor vehicle.
- Operates a company vehicle in accordance with company policy and safe practices.
- Develops ability to quickly and safely locate addresses through knowledge of number systems and street layouts.
- Ensures that unit remains in a state of readiness in terms of mechanical reliability, medical supply and equipment, cleanliness and appearance standards.
- Reports immediately to the Lead Paramedic any discrepancies in vehicle or equipment standards that could compromise the unit’s ability to complete a call.
- Completes all appropriate documentation as outlined in company policy.
- Reports all problems and unusual occurrences immediately to the Lead Paramedic or Supervisor.
- Maintains a professional appearance by adhering to hygiene and uniforms standards.
- Participation in company activities; Staff Meetings, committees, and public relations details.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* No previous experience required.
* Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
* Emergency Med Tech - Basic
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status