Job Posting End Date: 11/13
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:The Finance Technology Team drives the Finance Strategic planning process as well as promotes collaboration and insightful analysis around our data strategy, tools/applications and process improvement. Our team supports a broad portfolio of Corporate Strategic and Finance initiatives from New Product Implementations, to Business Acquisitions like Starmount, to the New Workday General Ledger Implementation as well as various system upgrades and installations for Finance.
As a Member on the Finance Technology team, you will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic group of internal/external Business and IT Partners and be accountable for solving business problems by applying creative technical solutions. This position requires strong technical abilities and is responsible for managing numerous processes that deliver data to internal customers centered around financial reporting and actuarial analysis.
As part of our team, the incumbent will have access to mentoring, knowledge transfer and other tools to assist in growth, development and success. We are looking for the incumbent to bring leadership, creativity, energy, intellectual curiosity and critical thinking to the role.
*We would also consider/are evaluating an Information Project Director based upon experience. This position will potentially be an Individual Contributor.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- May supervise and/or manage work of staff
- Partners w/ IT project resources and business leaders to develop and execute project plans for multiple and complex projects
- May actively participate in the hiring, development, performance and compensation decisions affecting assigned staff
- Shares overall responsibility for project success with the IT and/or business area
- Drives change and evolution of processes supporting Finance and other metrics consuming functions
- Consultative role around data, technology and process design – ensuring sustainable outcomes for now and the future
- Specifically responsible for ensuring the execution of business tasks (business requirements, issues resolution, testing, establishing ongoing validation routine, etc.)
- Ensures active participation from business users. Resolves or escalates issues that jeopardize project success
- Proactively communicates with key users to make sure they understand the impact of the project on their area and to make sure that the end result of the project will meet business needs
- Manages virtual project teams activities, to include IT, other Info Mgmt staff, business resources
- Mentors information management and MIS team members
- Conducts group user training on business, data and technology tools
- Expert on multiple Functional and/or Product aspects of the information management and data warehouse environments
- Operates under minimal direction
- Proactively works with a variety of functional business areas to enhance the quality of data within the data warehouse and develop business solutions to meet emerging business needs
- Creates recommendations for broader technical impacts for the across functional organization
- Work through complex business situations to arrive at effective and efficient support processes
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Thorough knowledge of data warehousing/information management concepts and practices
- Highly motivated individual able to take independent actions to solve problems/issues with limited involvement from manager
- Demonstrated understanding of data analysis and data modeling concepts
- At least eight years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated strong desire to understand the business and what is needed to enhance the efficiency, effectiveness and overall value
- Ability to multi-task across projects and subject areas
- Strong business and technical analysis skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong testing and problem resolution skills
- Demonstrated technical expert in Teradata, DB2, SQL, SAS and/or MS Tools
- Advanced aptitude for learning emerging technologies
- Expert in one or more of the following technical platforms: Mainframe, Microsoft OS, Distributed Environment
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Business preferred
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.