Job Posting End Date: 01/30
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:Finance and Accounting Development Program (FDP) Internships offer students interested in the finance and accounting field a hands-on experience where you will get exposed to meaningful, challenging project work that will culminate in an end-of-summer presentations to our most senior finance leaders. This internship is designed for highly-motivated individuals interested in gaining exposure to the field of finance and accounting in the financial services industry.
- Contribute in meaningful project work that will leave a lasting impact on the business.
- Specific opportunities include Accounting Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Planning, Risk, Tax, Internal Audit, and Corporate Finance.
- Work for the leader in the disability-based employee benefits marketplace & in a professional office setting.
- Learn about other departmental & corporate functions.
- Attend weekly information sessions & networking opportunities with senior leaders across enterprise locations.
- Take part in social & community service activities with fellow interns.
- Interns are considered as potential candidates for our Finance Development Program upon graduation and will have an opportunity to interview for a role in the next year’s cohort.
- Earn college credit for your internship. (Faculty/Hiring Manager pre-approvals are required)
- Paid internship with relocation bonus
- Work in one of our four main campuses – Chattanooga, TN, Portland, ME, Columbia, SC, Worcester, MA
What could the internship lead to?
The internship program aspires to develop and retain the best talent by considering the top-performing interns to the Finance Development Program upon graduation. Unum’s Finance Development Program provides recent graduates the opportunity to develop their financial, business acumen, and leadership skills through a robust rotational program. The program consists of 3-4 cross functional job rotations within the Finance organization, and occasionally other business units, over the course of 4-6 years.
- Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college degree program. Preference given to students that will be rising seniors and/or first year graduate students during the summer of 2018.
- Interest in the Finance Development Program
- Extensive coursework in statistics, accounting, economics, or finance
- Required overall GPA of 3.3
- Applied leadership skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills; adept at handling group dynamics
- Highly motivated individual able to take direction from managers
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects keeping track of and meeting due dates
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Basic to intermediate EXCEL Skills.
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- Intern must be available to work approximately 40 hours per week during regular business hours. The internship program will begin in early June and last about 10-12 weeks
Are you ready to learn and grow while making a positive difference in peoples' lives? If so, our summer internship program may be for you.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.