Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:Unum is hiring for a talented., experienced Principal Software Engineer whose focus will be on the Enterprise Payment Modernization efforts delivering features/enablers from idea to production with strong Agile teams. You will be a leader within the organization who will help bring new digital experiences to our customers, by engineering and implementing new payment features. The successful candidate will work with other engineers on a technology stack with a strong focus using languages and platforms such as .NET, .NET Core, AWS Lambda, API’s and Java. In addition, the Principal Software Engineer should have a good understanding of Legacy systems as well as, building complex business logic and orchestrating the generation of new UIs and API/microservices that bring performance, security, and value to Unum and our platform users.
- Bachelor of Computer Science, with master’s degree is preferred, or equivalent relevant experience
- 8+ years of successfully delivering software products in a complex, enterprise environment.
- Highly knowledgeable of programming in a full-stack environment including experience using .NET, .NET CORE, AWS Lambda, databases, legacy systems and APIs exposing microservices
- Expert in Agile development/methodologies, Test Automation and TDD, CI/CD, Devops
- Ability to write readable, maintainable, and performant code
- Deep knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- High focus on quality; holds self and others to high standards of delivery
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience leading groups of people through discussions, technical or otherwise. Can successfully communicate to Senior Management
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical leadership and direction across a BDH or Value-stream, collaborating with architects on the creation and application of technical roadmaps, standards, tooling and frameworks required to create a modern, high quality, rich application suite.
- Completes the design of an application and drives the advancement of the reference architecture, as well as advances architecture roadmap for business area(s) by recommending third party/cloud solutions and Prototyping initiatives
- Co-ordinates or participates in tool, technology and service selection, risk assessments and sunsetting in conjunction with technical and business stakeholders ensuring consistency with existing business needs and architectural sustainability.
- Look for ways to utilize modern technologies to solve business problems – including AI, Digital platforms, and automation.
- Actively looks for solutions that are buy over build and are cloud based & stays abreast of external trends and new functionality to be released by third party/cloud solutions, identifying and socializing opportunities for expanded business applicability
- Resolves architectural uncertainties through prioritization, planning, and execution of architectural sprints and reprioritizes Technology Roadmap and portfolio backlogs based on outcomes
- Will participate in the actual design, coding, configuration, testing’s and maintenance of software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools.
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery
- Monitor application behavior in production to ensure that the application performance system stability is meeting business needs and takes appropriate action.
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily standups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.