Northern Light Mayo Hospital
Department: Medical Surgical Unit/SCU
Position is located: Mayo Hospital
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule:7:00 AM to 7:30 PM
The Registered Nurse I is a Registered Nurse who is a beginning professional caregiver, entering into practice and establishing a professional identity. The incumbent is responsible for the practice of nursing according to the Rules and Regulations defined in the State of Maine Nurse Practice Act, Northern Light Health Standards of Care/Practice, policies and procedures. The Registered Nurse I is responsible for the delivery of patient care to assigned patients, and for the supervision of other qualified staff to whom the Registered Nurse I has delegated patient care in the exercise of his/her independent judgment. The nurse plans and evaluates the nursing care for patients and families and exercises independent judgment in implementing care or assigning the care to other qualified staff. The nurse addresses physical, spiritual, emotional and educational needs of the patient, and coordinates the plan of care with other healthcare professionals. The incumbent performs duties and tasks in accordance with performance standards established for the job.
- Provides safe and effective patient care by using best practices during hand off communication and when reporting patient care information and appropriately asks for assistance from other staff. (Patient Safety)
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills in location, operation, and care of equipment. (Patient Safety)
- Performs and documents systematic assessments according to established criteria. (Clinical Assessments)
- Recognizes and responds to abnormal diagnostic data and reports to appropriate provide (Clinical Assessments)
- Develops and maintains a professional and personable relationship and appearance with patients/ families and staff. (Caring & Code of Conduct)
- Treats patients with courtesy and respect. (Caring & Code of Conduct)
- Utilizes theoretical knowledge base to operationalize care. (Critical Thinking)
- Documentation is accurate and complete reflecting adherence to hospital, regulatory and legal requirements (Documentation)
- Completes population-specific mandatory education competencies as defined by the unit specific scope of service. (Population Specific Competency)
- Provides culturally competent care to patients and families. (Population Specific Competency)
- Provides patient centered care. (Population Specific Competency)
- Practice is consistent with Northern Light Health policy and procedures. (Evidenced Based Practice & Research)
- Demonstrates awareness of evidence-based practice. (Evidenced Based Practice & Research)
- Communicates effectively with patients, family members, and all members of the interdisciplinary team, seeking assistance for conflict resolution as needed. (Leadership and Professional Conduct)
- Implements the plan of care and identifies resources to meet patient care needs. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
- Identifies and communicates changes in patient conditions that may impact unit staffing levels or the provision of safe patient care. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
- Contributes to a healthy work environment by exhibiting professional behaviors and seeks assistance in addressing interpersonal conflicts. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
- Seeks assistance from colleagues in the daily care of patients on the unit. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
- Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team to maximize patient care. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
- Utilizes available resources in an appropriate manner and seeks assistance when needed (Resource Management)
- Takes responsibility for meeting education and mandatory programs, by completing clinical evidence-based competencies (CBO) and member specific competencies. (Professional Development)
- Obtains 12 contact hours or a 3-credit professional development course or as specified by individual member organization. (Professional Development)
- Maintains an up-to-date personal educational file to demonstrate compliance with educational requirements. (Professional Development)
- Actively participates in the peer review process. (Professional Development)
- Demonstrates and articulates awareness of performance improvement initiatives. (Performance Improvement)
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Spreadsheet application with the ability to use calculations, formulas, graphing tools, pivot tables, and a macro programming.
* Word process application with the ability to create and edit documents, format, use tables, apply footnoting, create table of contents and mail merge techniques.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.
* Registered Nurse
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status