Director, Public Relations
Vets First Choice
At Vets First Choice, we change the way veterinarians do business. With multiple locations across the country, Vets First Choice provides veterinary practices with an outstanding online pharmacy and home delivery service that improves medication compliance, simplifies inventory management, and grows practice revenue. For the past 6 years, Inc. magazine has recognized us as one of the fastest growing companies in the country and we want you to come grow with us!
The Director, Public Relations is a key member of the Corporate Communications team responsible to plan, develop and execute corporate public relations strategies. This position ensures that our public relations activities and corporate communications are clearly defined, and aligned with our business strategies and marketing activity. Defines and champions PR best practices with cross-functional teams, while monitoring and evaluating the Company’s global reputation management and veterinarian relations strategies. This role is the primary conduit to reinforce the brand reputation and key messaging with strategically important stakeholders globally.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead corporate reputation management and media relations’ strategy on corporate, strategic, financial, legal and public policy.
- Serve as the primary company spokesperson with international, national and local media and other key external stakeholders.
- Develop proactive and reactive public relationship programs to reinforce key messages, promote business objectives and accelerate the Company’s growth and commercial opportunities.
- Partner with internal business leaders as well as government relations, legal, investor relations and regional communicators to develop and implement communications plans designed to deliver clear and consistent messages to the media and other key external stakeholders. Ensure alignment and integrity in the use of the messaging with external audiences.
- Cultivate strong, professional relationships with members of national, trade and local media that cover related issues in the industry.
- Collaborate with senior leaders to provide strategic counsel on issues management and crisis communications, including potential response strategies and tactics.
- Develop strategic communication plans, press releases, key messages, presentations and talking points for use with the media, investors and analysts.
- Manage potential external agency resources
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related field
- 8+ years Public Relations experience with demonstrated record of implementing process-driven and metrics-driven media programs
- 5+ years experience in successfully developing and implementing sophisticated media relations strategies in complex industries (Strongly prefer technology and/or healthcare/animal health industry experience)
COMPETENCIES (Skills and Abilities)
- World-class writer and spokesperson
- Experience with social media in the business environment
- Extensive experience in all aspects of crisis and issues management
- Ability to comprehend complex financial, legal, regulatory and strategic issues
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills; demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and excel in a fast-paced business environment
- Demonstrated experience working with investor relations
- Demonstrated experience in community relations
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented, with a high degree of project management skills, professionalism, diplomacy, discretion and judgment
- Highly motivated, self-starter with demonstrated ability to deliver results within strict time constraints
- Demonstrated ability to develop professional relationships in which corporate goals and priorities are maintained without compromising integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with colleagues to leverage skills and knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain credibility with both external partners and internal stakeholders at all levels of the Company including executive leadership and professional partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a high performance culture through effective communication, leadership and a consensus-building approach with those at all levels and functions of the Company
- Demonstrated exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills which highlight an ability to effectively reach a diverse audience at multiple levels within the Company and through various formats (i.e., teleconferences, face-to-face meetings, presentations, written proposals, reports and correspondence)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Normal office environment with extensive use of computer.
- Pet-friendly environment for those employees with well-behaved furry family members.
- Business travel (up to 25%)