Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and renewal of automation, data collection, protection & control equipment subsystems on AVANGRID’s electric delivery infrastructure in New England (Central Maine Power and United Illuminating) and New York (NYSEG and RG&E). AVANGRID’s electric delivery system is approximately 8,600 miles of transmission lines and 1,000 substations.
Engineering activities for electric transmission and substation system protection projects to ensure safe, timely and cost-effective completion. Conduct analysis, develop estimates and apply engineering standards and criteria to drive the completion of projects. Coordinate with other departments, vendors, and consultants in order to complete projects in a timely and cost effective manner.
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
1. Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Perform engineering calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection system settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
2. Support in developing technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders.
3. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing protection system settings for capital projects.
4. Management of certain NERC compliance programs applicable to substation assets. Act as subject matter expert during audits.
5. Serve as mentor in the technical development of lower level engineers and cross-department employees
6. Represent the company on regional and national committees
7. Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.
Skills and Requirements
- Education & Experience Required:
- 7 years of experience in Engineering or 4 years of experience in Protection & Control
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering / Technology.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain certification.
- Good knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of equipment protection.
- Knowledge of national standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Experience with power system short circuit protection analysis applications such as ASPEN OneLiner, ASPEN Line Database.
- Knowledge of IEC-61850 standards.
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong Electrical Design Experience.
- Able to perform protection coordination analysis.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory, application, standards, design, and analysis.
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables