Artist & Craftsman Supply is an employee-owned (ESOP) national retailer that sells fine arts and crafts supplies through its 21 brick and mortar locations and website. The President will work with the leadership team on positioning the company for stability and strategic growth. The right candidate will have experience in the multi-state retail industry and will be able to scale company operations. This is a tremendous opportunity to work for an employee-owned company that will appreciate your efforts and reward your results.
The President will be responsible for managing all aspects of Artist & Craftsman Supply’s business. This includes traditional retail operations, wholesale offering, and growing e-commerce channels. The ideal candidate has broad experience in executive management, culture building, strategic thinking, and the ability to drive growth in retail.
The candidate should also be a team-oriented ‘player-coach’, with a willingness to roll up their sleeves. The candidate will be able to thrive in a fast-paced results-orientated environment and maintain a holistic employee-owned culture. The optimal candidate will be experienced in national retail with a range of art supplies, art making, and involvement with the creative community.
A bright, motivated professional who is detail-oriented, has a sense of urgency, a good sense of humor, and takes a great deal of pride in being the best. Someone who constantly asks, “How can we improve, be the best in the business, and remain ahead of the competition?” and “How can I best lead and support Artist & Craftsman Supply?”
This role will report to the Board of Directors. The successful candidate will live near or relocate to Portland, Maine.
- Demonstrate flexibility, high energy, and drive to seize opportunities and turn them into reality
- Strategic vision that will move the Company forward and leverage growth at every level of the organization, particularly the ESOP share value
- Ownership of the Company P&L with a focus on top-line growth and bottom-line profitability and EBITDA
- Grow, manage, and mentor leadership team to ensure continuous development and optimal potential
- Enhance communications with all levels of Company employees and encourage them to pro-actively communicate issues that will initiate problem solving and creativity
- Bring organizational skills to focus on meeting and exceeding goals
- Instill a strong sense of accountability for effective leadership and operation efficiencies
- Drive inventory management and marketing strategies to achieve revenue and profitability goals
- Build Artist & Craftsman Supply brand in cost-effective ways
- Utilize consistent communications throughout all marketing disciplines
- Solidify strong customer and vendor relationships
- Instill an excitement and enthusiasm for the products sold
- Ensure the products are meeting the unique needs of the consumer
- Oversee relationships with outside stakeholders, business partners, creditors, landlords, legal counsel and third-party administrators
- Assist with timely administration of the Company ESOP, including communication with ESOP Trust, outside valuation, recordkeeper, and ESOP counsel
- Be an excellent communicator who can pro-actively keep the Board, management team and all employees well informed and do what it takes on a daily basis to produce exceptional results
- Have an appreciation for the Board’s vision, understand the “big picture” and what it takes to achieve it
- All other duties as assigned by Board of Directors
- 7+ years of cumulative relevant experience, with a strong preference for art supply retail executive leadership experience
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles, and track record of P&L management
- Experience in developing profitable strategies and implanting vision
- Degree in fine art, business, finance, marketing, merchandising, operations, or other analytical area
- Master’s in business administration or relevant field preferred
- Demonstrated experience managing and developing multiple direct reports
- Track record of managing complex, cross functional teams, and strategic priorities
- Extreme drive that is contagious, exceptional attention to detail, ability to manage teams with a high degree of autonomy and self-reliance
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- Experience with retail accounting and inventory control systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite - Microsoft Excel required
- Experience building reports and dashboards
- Experience with ESOP plan a plus
The position requires travel. Travel will be quarterly and can include retail store visits, company retreats, trade events, ESOP events, and outside stakeholder events.
- Health/Dental/Vision Benefits
- Supplemental Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Discount
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, speak and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to key at a computer, sit, stand, walk, and occasionally kneel, bend, reach and grasp. Employee must be able to lift 25 pounds on occasion.
Artist & Craftsman Supply is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQIA+ people in our communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
How to Apply
Applicants can submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.