Northern Light Health
Position is located: Cianchette Professional Building
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1 (40 hours per week - exempt)
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, the Corporate Counsel II will support Northern Light Health and its Member Organizations on a variety of legal matters and projects related to the management and operation of a health care system by providing competent, timely legal advice and assistance informed by sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives of the organization.
1.Specific areas of responsibility include:
a. General healthcare law
2.General Areas of Responsibilities include:
a.Review/prepare contracts/leases and templates;
b.Patient decision making, informed consent and advance directives;
c.Privacy and security matters;
d.Medical staff matters;
e.Healthcare fraud and abuse matters;
g.Human subject research;
j.Third party reimbursement;
l.Federal and state tax matters, including exempt organization issues;
m.Advice on governance issues and operations;
n.Acquisitions or divestments;
o.Coordinate response to subpoenas;
p.Exempt organization issues;
q.340B Drug Program
In addition, the Corporate Counsel II will:
3.Provide excellent client service.
5.Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against business needs in particular situations.
6.Supervise, work closely with, and actively direct outside counsel to ensure organizational goals are met.
7.Analyze legislation that impacts the organization and assist in responding to legislative and other inquiries. Advise administrators/department heads/chiefs of service of changes in law.
8.Participate in MHA and other activities to assist in policy development and to keep current with legal issues occurring in healthcare in Maine and nationally.
9.Provide in-service education on legal issues to management and staff as appropriate.
10.Drive legal costs to a minimum by assessing risk and through appropriate use of inside and outside counsel.
11.Other duties as assigned.
- Must have demonstrated substantive legal experience, including primary and independent responsibility for significant legal matters.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of and experience in the health care field as well as knowledge and experience working with health care related statutes and regulations.
- Ability to accomplish assignments timely with minimum supervision.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate and work with many disciplines, such as leadership, medical staff, financial management, state and federal officials, internal and external clients and other individuals and entities the organization interacts with.
- Demonstrated organization, facilitation, communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated judgment and discretion.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Normal office environment.
- Some travel required.
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor (JD) from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association and active license to practice law in Maine required.
- Attorney II:3-9 plus years of experience required.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status