Schedule: Pool/Per Diem
POSITION SUMMARY: In alignment with the mission and vision of Eastern Maine Medical Center and the Maine Nurse Core Competencies, the registered nurse at EMMC will strive for excellence in patient safety, clinical quality, and service. The registered nurse will:
· Assess a patient's physical, psychosocial, and emotional needs and design and implements plans of care to meet the identified needs
· Provide safe, quality, efficient patient care across the lifespan, with particular attention to the patient's age-related cognitive, emotional, physical, and functional needs
· Collaborate professionally and effectively with members of the interdisciplinary care team
· Provide education to patients and families that is current, evidence-based, and appropriate to the identified learning needs
· Demonstrate accountability for own decisions and behaviors, and exercising critical thinking, clinical reasoning, and ethical decision-making in all aspects of professional practice
· Serve as an advocate for patients and families' needs, preferences, and concerns
· Demonstrate fairness and open-mindedness, and be open to constructive feedback to improve own practice
· Be open and adaptable to change, seek to understand the drivers of change from a systems perspective, and participate in process-improvement initiatives
· Recognize and respect the needs, opinions, and desires of the patient and the family, facilitate shared decision-making, and engage in respectful, culturally-appropriate communication to maximize the patient and family's healthcare experience
· Adhere to hospital policy and professional standards of practice
· Consistently display EMMC's Caring Behaviors and embody the values of professionalism and integrity in all interactions and settings
· Utilize information and biomedical technology safely and accurately to enhance the quality of patient care across the continuum
· Must have a high level of interpersonal and communication skills and be a demonstrated team player. Must demonstrate reliability and accountability to team members and patients.
· Serves as a formal & informal preceptor/mentor for new hires & students
MINIMUM ESSERNTIAL EDUCATION REQUIRED: Registered Nurse licensed in the State of Maine
MINIMUM ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE/SKILLS REQUIRED: Ability to safely deliver comprehensive, compassionate, age-specific nursing care for the population of patients within the assigned unit/area. Certification and ability to perform BLS .
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Capacity to concentrate in a busy and often stressful environment. Ability to come in close contact with people. Sitting, and extended periods of standing and walking are required. Stretchers, monitors, pumps are moved several times a day to accommodate patient and equipment transfers. The nurse must be able to lift 10 lbs. with one hand to attach IV pumps to IV poles. Reaching and stretching may be required at any time. Ability to push and pull heavy computers on wheels; push wheelchairs with 300+ pound patients, frequently lifting 50 pounds without assistance; high volume of stooping, bending, lifting, pulling and twisting. The nurse must be able to stretch, reach, and retrieve equipment from the supply carts and bend to reach equipment supplied below knee level. Must possess upper body strength, agility and lung capacity necessary to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation and have the ability to wear protective equipment and to pass respiratory protection fit testing. Portable O2 tanks are lifted from O2 racks to stretchers to accompany patients. Must be able to perform various sensory requirements such as visual and color acuity, speech, smell, touch, manual dexterity, fine motor skills and hearing in order to assess and treat the patient accurately. Use of the electronic medical record requires visual acuity for reading information on computer screens and fine motor skills for keyboarding and use of a mouse.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Fast-paced clinical environment. Expectation for participation in unit-specific and hospital-wide activities that promote self and professional development. Expectation for participation in the development and/or execution of strategic goals, patient safety and quality improvement initiatives that assist with the fulfillment of the Eastern Maine Medical Center mission and vision.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Healthcare | Nursing