Department: Dementia Unit
Position is located: Lakewood Cont Care Center
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
The position is responsible for the overall day to day programming and functioning of a 32 bed Dementia unit, which is based upon individual and activity based programming rather than a clinical model of care.
1. Attaining the 99th percentile in resident/family satisfaction.
2. Developing and periodically updating the Dementia unit service objectives and statements of philosophy.
3. Creates and maintains a therapeutic environment to include safety issues, effective strategies for providing care, noise levels, staff behavior, consistency in staffing and routine way finding for residents as well as temperature control.
4. Develops direct care staff to provide person centered activity focused care to include personal care (dressing, bathing and toileting), nutrition and dining, structured leisure (gross motor activities, social activities, crafts, sensory enhancement, outdoor activities, spiritual activities, normative activities, music and sexuality.
5. Gives counsel and guidance to Charge Nurse concerning person centered activity focused care. Potential clinical issues are discussed with the Director of Nursing Services to counsel and guide the nursing staff.
6. Develops and implements strategies to deal with common behavioral issues such as wandering, sun-downing, catastrophic reactions, combativeness, paranoia, ignoring self-care.
7. Works with Social Services to address issues such as loss, as well as educational and support needs.
8. Works with Social Services to assure every effort is made to maintain close positive relationships between family members and the resident, unless it would be injurious to the resident.
9. Assures that all staff assigned to the unit have the proper pre-service training as well as required on-going training. This information may be obtained from Staff Development.
10. Assures that all staff provide resident activity based care according to the resident needs and care plan.
11. Recruits and retains unit staff in collaboration with the Director of Nursing Services.
12. Provides feedback to the Director of Nursing Services, Director of Housekeeping and Laundry Services, Director of Food Services, Director of Activities and others as needed for the evaluation process of employees working on the unit.
13. Assures compliance with established State and Federal Regulations.
14. Incorporates Performance Improvement into daily activities and demonstrates improvement in outcomes and processes.
15. Undertakes such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Director of Nursing or Administrator.
16. Performs all duties in a caring, ethical and professional manner.
17. Required participation in Leadership Development Institute, (LDI) Individual Development Plan (IDP) and Leader Evaluation Manager (LEM).
Competencies and skills:
* 1+ years of relative work experience required.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.
* Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse in the State of Maine or eligible to obtain.
* Associate's Degree
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status