Position is responsible for supervising APP’s and coordinating work flow in order to provide the most efficient, effective, safe and comprehensive patient care. Provides medical care in accordance with established standards and practices as defined by Maine Medical Center, the State of Maine, and the Maine State Board of Nursing. In addition, the NP may provide inpatient care including first assist duties in the operating room.
* Knowledge of patient assessment techniques including taking medical histories, performing physicals, evaluating health status including state of wellness, and compliance with care recommendations.
* Knowledge of diagnosing and treating medical problems and developing care plans.
* Skill in accurately evaluating patient problems in person or via phone and providing appropriate advice, intervention, or referral.
* Ability to make responsible decisions within scope of PA practice.
* Performs other duties necessary to maintain the overall efficiency and continuity of the practice.
* Is proactive in identifying, reporting and participating in the resolution of any potential or actual patient safety issues.
* Provides training and orientation for new employees in the department.
* Coordinates appropriate staffing levels and review and approve time cards for assigned staff.
* Ability to collaborate effectively with physicians on cases.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Strong computer skills.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Education and Experience:
* Advanced knowledge of nursing theory and practice, and additional specialized medical training, in order to provide expanded nursing practice at a level generally acquired through completion of a Master’s Degree.
* Current license and registration to practice as an Advance Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant as required in the State of Maine.
* Advanced skill and knowledge in conducting physical examinations and treating patients in expanded practice model with minimal direction at a level generally acquired through two to three years in-depth experience as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant.
* Current BLS required.