Northern Light Medical Transport and Emergency Care
Position is located: VNA South Portland
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: Variable
The Paramedic is a person who must not only remain calm while working in difficult and stressful
circumstances, but must be capable of staying focused while assuming the leadership role inherent in carrying out the functions of the position. Good judgment along with advanced knowledge and technical skills are essential in directing other team members to assist as needed. The Paramedic must be able to provide top quality care, concurrently handle high levels of stress, and be willing to take on the personal responsibility required of the position. This includes not only all legal ramifications for precise documentation, but also the responsibility for using the knowledge and skills acquired in real life threatening emergency situations.
- Successful completion of EMT training course
- Currently licensed or licensable in Maine as an EMT-Paramedic
- Current Health Care Provider CPR certification
- Active, unrestricted, Maine driver’s license
- Insurable by auto insurance carrier
- AVOC, or equivalent certification
- Current BTLS, PHTLS, or other trauma training
- NRP or approved alternative Certification
- Cleared for NICU/CCT vehicle operation
- ACLS Certification
- PEPP or approved alternative Certification
- Approved 12-lead EKG interpretation training
- Maine EMS Paramedic Interfacility Transport Certification current licensure and remain employed
- Cooperates and complies with established EMS’ Quality Assurance process and complies with other essential documents
- Offers flexibility in scheduling matters; willing to work late, arrive early, augments staffing when requested (call-ins) and regularly completes pager shift duty
- Maintains professional conduct; appearance, behavior, sense of responsibility, pride in the company, and willingness to mentor others; willingness to progress professionally into specialty team assignments
- Adheres to standard precautions and other personal protective equipment (PPE), due to the presence of body fluids and chemicals
- Demonstrates competency in assessing a patient, handling emergencies utilizing Basic Life Support equipment and procedures; have the ability to perform CPR, control of hemorrhage, non-invasive shock treatment, fracture and spinal stabilization, manage environmental emergencies, emergency childbirth, operation of the semi-automatic defibrillator, delivery of oxygen
- Administers properly: Medications approved by Maine EMS; chest decompression; NG tube placement; trans tracheal jet insufflation; surgical cricothyrotomy; and all other skills approved by Maine EMS.
- Performs advanced airway control; IV/IO therapy; cardiac monitoring; defibrillation; and other practices as approved by Maine EMS.
- Motivated in the delivery of care, maintenance of facilities and equipment, and inventory control.
- Maintains thorough familiarity with treatment protocols, response requirements and quality assurance procedures in system in which assigned.
- Maintains awareness of any and all changes in the system components and company policy.
- Maintains the level and type of certification(s) consistent with performing tasks in the system to which assigned.
- Complies with all state and company requirements for operation of motor vehicle.
- Operates a company vehicle in accordance with company policy and safe practices.
- Develops ability to quickly and safely locate addresses through knowledge of number systems and street layouts.
- Ensures that unit remains in a state of readiness in terms of mechanical reliability, medical supply and equipment, cleanliness and appearance standards.
- Reports immediately to the Supervisor any discrepancies in vehicle or equipment standards that could compromise the unit’s ability to complete a call.
- Completes all appropriate documentation as outlined in company policy.
- Reports all problems and unusual occurrences immediately to the Supervisor.
- Maintains a professional appearance by adhering to hygiene and uniforms standards.
- Participation in company activities; Staff Meetings, committees, and public relations details.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Emergency Med Tech - Paramedic
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status