Job Posting End Date: 03/29
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:If Technology and Innovation are your passions, then an internship with Unum's IT organization, is a great opportunity to explore this summer! Our IT Team is made up of 1,500+ talented, forward-thinking, IT and Business professionals. We value individual strengths, innovation, leadership, collaboration and strong partnerships. We offer defined career paths as well as on-going training and development opportunities. As an organization, we contribute to the achievement of Unum's strategic goals through the delivery of smart, innovative technology solutions.
Join a team where your manager will assign you meaningful, challenging project work where you will help to ensure the most efficient and innovative technology solutions for Unum and its customers. Our 10-week ‘intern immersion’ will offer you projects which will require you to work independently, as well as within teams.
Essential Responsibilities and Program Highlights:
· Use Agile methodology to contribute to meaningful project work that will leave a lasting impact on the business.
· Develop into a strategic partner in driving Unum’s digital strategy
· Intern Innovation Challenge. Participate in this exciting annual challenge that allows IT interns an opportunity to develop business solutions for specific business areas and present them as working prototypes to an audience of business and technical leaders across Unum. Our interns gain exposure to emerging technology topics and real-life corporate experience while Unum benefits from their fresh insights, generational experience and ideas.
· Understand, research, and provide analysis of security issues and database cleanup opportunities
· Assisting in replacing legacy infrastructure with a cloud-based incentive compensations system
· Attend weekly information sessions & networking opportunities with senior leaders across enterprise locations
· Learn about departmental and corporate functions
· Take part in social and community service activities with fellow interns.
· Earn college credit for your internship. (Faculty/Hiring Manager pre-approvals are required)
Anticipated 2020 Internship Areas:
· Software Development
· Software Testing
· Business Analysis
· Project Management
· Database Administration
· Atlanta, GA
· Portland, ME
· Columbia, SC
· Chattanooga, TN
· Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college degree program.
· Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, IT Security, Informatics, Information Science/Technology, Software Engineering, Security and Risk Analysis, or other STEM related majors preferred
· Minimum overall GPA of 3.3
· Demonstrated leadership abilities
· Must be proficient in Excel pivot tables and Microsoft software applications.
· Distributed C#, ASP.Net, HTML, or SQL/SQL server experience is a plus
· Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
· Demonstrated ability to think both strategically and tactically
· Ability to work independently and be self-directed on project work
· Excellent communication skills
· Intern must be available to work approximately 40 hours per week during regular business hours.
· The internship program starts in early June and will last about 10-12 weeks
· Interns who demonstrate exceptional performance and may be offered an additional internship or a full-time position
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.