Northern Light Maine Coast Hospital
Department: Health Information Management
Position is located: Northern Light Maine Coast Hospital
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 40 Hours Per Week
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
The Health Information Management (HIM) Associate is responsible for timely and efficient processing of patient/health information including, but not limited to, customer service, chart prepping, scanning, indexing, deficiency analysis, vital statistics, retrieving/filing/posting/processing of reports and records, chart location, and assisting physicians with patient record completion.
- Completes scanning, deficiency analysis, vital statistics, and release of information functions adhering to HIPAA, State & Federal statues on release of information, and Joint Commission/CMS requirements for chart completion.
- Safeguard patient's protected health information at all times.
- Abstract required information in the Cerner and 3M systems.
- Maintains and exhibits current knowledge of profession and completes required continuing education.
- Maintain established quality & productivity benchmarks.
- DNFB tracking (escalation of incomplete documentation elements within the medical group)
- 3M Report distributions.
- MHDO Data corrections and submission.
- External coding audit preparations (claims printing & coding summaries).
- Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
- May perform other duties upon request.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: 1. Demonstrate system values and integrates them into daily organizational practice. 2. Actively support patient-centered care with sensitivity and respect for the diversity of human experience. 3. Ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere. 4. Must be familiar with PCs and work in multiple technical systems simultaneously: Outlook, Cerner EMR, Siemens, 3M ChartRelease, and Excel 5. Must be detail oriented 6. Knowledge of Health Information Management, Healthcare Application technologies, CMS standards, State & Federal statutes on release of information 7. Strong communication skills with ability to effectively present information and respond to questions 8. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions WORKING CONDITIONS: Work involves lifting no more than 10 pounds at a time and occasionally lifting or carrying articles like files, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous sitting.