As a member of the Internal Communications & Events team, you will work with cross-functional athenistas to plan and execute employee communications and events. This is a role requiring a high-energy professional with exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail. The ideal candidate should thrive in a fast-paced environment and possess enthusiastic interest in adding value to their team and the company on a daily basis. Successful candidates will be proactive, relationship-oriented, creative writers who are capable of becoming cultural leaders within the company.
As an Internal Communications Business Partner, you will create strategic communications campaigns, come up with innovative ways to engage employees, write communications, presentations and talking points. You will work closely with leaders in our Technology and People organizations on communications to their teams and to all employees while developing relationships throughout the organization to know your audience and drive bottomsup storytelling. You will also collaborate with internal partners as needed across functions (PR, IR, Legal, etc.) and geographies.
It's our team’s job to help inform and educate our employees—athenistas, as we call ourselves—about our vision, initiatives and core values. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, each time with an end result of delighting athenistas by keeping them informed and engaged. Things happen quickly at athena and to get stuff done you need to be a proactive, relationship-oriented, team player who takes risks.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
80% Develop and execute communications strategies and plans
20% Run internal programming and events to promote core values and culture
- Develop creative strategies for communicating to employees by planning the frequency of, and vehicles for, communications and coordinate across different areas of the business and the company
- Develop, write, and edit communications for senior executives, including organizational and product narratives, speeches, emails, articles and slide presentations. Distill complex subjects into coherent and easy-to-understand language
- Project manage internal communications, strategic plans, and initiatives from beginning to end. Coordinate and execute logistics around internal reorganizations
- Interact with and influence executives, and provide advice that reflects an understanding of their business and leadership style
- Translate mission, vision and business objectives into stories that interest employees and bring the vision and core values to life
- Significantly raise the bar on storytelling, framing/positioning, writing and editing and the use of new media to advance the story and increase visibility
- Develop and deploy tools and metrics for assessing the “pulse” and needs of the internal audience and to assess the effectiveness of the internal communications programs
Education, Experience, & Skills Required: The ideal candidate should be an organized, unflappable executor with strong communication and interpersonal skills. In addition, s/he must display the following attributes and/or possess the following skills:
- Run and promote cultural programming and events, such as town halls, annual summer picnics, athen-o-ween and year end parties
Behaviors and Abilities Required:
- At least 6-7 years prior experience in media, government or technology, with a focus on writing and strategic communications
- Experience owning relationships with executives and driving execution from them
- Creative and visual experience including video production and slide design
- Experience with Jive is a plus
- Proven ability to independently manage many changing tasks simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills in a hectic environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities
- Proven project management skills and technical competence
- Equally strong senses of humor and creativity