The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for assisting the pharmacists with the process of filling of prescriptions and for maintaining the pharmacy itself to support the goals of the department.
- Establishes a family history that includes address, age, allergies to medications, etc. and creates a patient profile. Enters prescriptions into the computer patient profile system completely and accurately according to the guidelines for Department of Defense patients and all other HMO type patients as well.
- Fills computer entered prescriptions with the proper medication. Sets aside completed prescriptions according to departmental policies for a final check by the pharmacist.
- Answers incoming phone calls to the pharmacy and retrieves messages from both the pickup and mailing refill telephone lines. Organizes workload according to established departmental policies. Retrieve prescriptions and correspondence from fax machine and direct to appropriate area for processing. Accepts prescription copies from outside pharmacies at the discretion of the pharmacist (Only Licensed Pharmacy Advanced Technicians certified by the Maine Board of Pharmacy).
- Places orders into the computerized wholesaler system and transmits orders to the wholesalers on a daily basis according to established guidelines. Maintains stock of pharmacy supply items and OTC items and orders as necessary. Maintains adequate inventory of prescription drugs on all pharmacy shelves and in designated storage areas in the department.
- Works with automated or robotic dispensing systems in the process of filling prescriptions if applicable in the particular pharmacy. Refills and maintains those systems as necessary.
- Processes and prepares completed mail orders for shipping according to established guidelines (Primarily Mail Order Pharmacy)
- Processes the received daily wholesaler orders and fills prescriptions that are on order and are to be picked up or mailed to patients. Maintains all records required by law and by departmental policies. Places the wholesaler orders received daily into the appropriate locations on the pharmacy inventory shelves.
- Processes all pharmacy requisition forms received from the practices or from all outside sites (PRITA forms).
- Supports the Pharmacy Clerk as needed with patient payment calls, charge card processing, answering of phone calls, mailing of prescriptions, etc.
- Maintains the general neatness and cleanliness in the pharmacy.
- Promptly greets the patient in a courteous and friendly manner at the window.
- Processes prescriptions returned to stock according to departmental guidelines.
- Checks the medical practices at the Portland site for outdated medications on a monthly basis.
- Answers routine inquiries regarding Health Plan drug coverage, prices, product availability, formulary listings, and pharmacy services. Uses discretion and good judgment in dealing with the questions and problems of patients and clinical staff.
- Rings all cash register transactions into the cash register throughout the day. Cashes out the register and charge machines daily and resolves the daily cash logs for disbursement to the Accounting Department.
- Serves as a professional role model to both Pharmacy staff and other departments in fulfilling the organizational mission and patient care objective of MPHC.
- Displays a positive attitude and initiates responsibility and cooperation where it concerns patient care, pharmacy/clinical staff relations as well as other aspects of pharmacy development and service.
- Advocates and promotes, by personal example, excellence of service as an integral part of the pharmacy department.
- Performs other duties as requested or required.
- High School diploma required
- Must have a current pharmacy technician license and be actively registered as a pharmacy technician in the state they are working in.
- Experience in a medical setting and/or knowledge of pharmacy terms and abbreviations.
- Previous pharmacy work experience is preferred.
- Typing and computer skills preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate and deal pleasantly and effectively with clinical staff, patients, and coworkers.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.