Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Business Communications Specialist is responsible for creating communications in support of the Finance and Administration division. This includes developing and executing letters, PowerPoint presentations, dashboards, digital content, and other internal company communications that require the distillation of data. The Business Communications Specialist works with members of management within the division of Finance and Administration to determine organizational communication needs in the areas of budget & financial planning, information technology, student financial services, institutional research, and other departments within Finance and Administration. The Business Communications Specialist generates new and innovative ways to improve communications, presentations, and other forms of data summarization to internal and external audiences. The position is also responsible for carrying out research to ensure that current communication methods are effective and in line with industry best practices.
- Work at the direction of Finance and Administration management to create business communications, data visualizations, and PowerPoint presentations for distribution to multiple audience types.
- Work directly with the Assistant Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis to develop and maintain a webpage for the division of Finance and Administration.
- Prepare communications which require business technical writing.
- Prepare communications to current and prospective students and families.
- Provide rich data visualizations and dashboards for internal and external audiences.
- Conduct independent research in the areas of data summarization, business communications, and data visualization.
- Working in collaboration with members of Finance and Administration, prepare analytical summary reports for use in strategic decision making by University leadership.
- Prepare executive summaries for new and existing management reports in the areas within the division of Finance and Administration.
- Provide occasional support for policy and procedure writing efforts.
- Work in collaboration with the Institutional Research professional staff to develop institutional-wide dashboards, summary reports, and presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative or analytical field such as business, economics, mathematics or sciences and 5 years of related experience; including at least 3 years of business technical writing and presentation development or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Strong writing skills including business technical writing.
- Knowledge of data visualization tools such as Tableau and/or other similar applications.
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and advanced knowledge of other MS Office Applications.
- Flexibility to learn new software and implement changes based on the changing needs of the University.
- Ability to design rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to internal and external constituents including University leadership.
- In depth understanding of best practices in the areas of data analysis, visualization and communication.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a climate of strong ethics, trust, and credibility; work collaboratively with units across the institution.
- High level of analytical ability, emotional intelligence, and organizational, communication, and relational skill.
- The Business Communications Specialist must ensure a high level of confidentiality at all times.