Department: Corporate and Affiliate Admin
Position is located: 797 Wilson Street
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1.000000 (40hours)
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Potential remote option available
The Data Scientist II is responsible for advanced health insurance and population health analytics, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of data programming and visualization techniques. This role is also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, architecting specialized database and computing environments, and communicating results.
The Data Scientist II works closely with leadership, data analysts, project/program managers, and other IT teams to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound organizational decisions.
Other responsibilities include providing data that is congruent and reliable. The incumbent will be a creative thinker and propose innovative ways to look at problems by using data mining approaches on the set of information available. The Data Scientist II will need to validate findings using an experimental and iterative approach. The incumbent will also be able to present findings to constituents by articulating assumptions and validation work in a way that can be easily understood by business counterparts.
Reports to: Director Advanced Data Analytics, Beacon Health
- Designs and directs the capture, cleanse, transformation and analysis of clinical and claims data to provide insight and actionable recommendations to facilitate improvements in population health management.
- Provides design input for implementing population management data warehouses.
- Designs and manages analytical reports & data from a variety of integrated clinical data sources.
- Provides oversight to ensure the accuracy in the tie-out process of data sent to Beacon Health, LLC by external vendors. Includes interacting with data analytics staff, Information System staff and external vendors to understand the business rules applied to the data extracts.
- Researches and reviews benchmarking data for comparison, validation and scope. Identifies areas for greatest opportunity for intervention and improvement in population health.
- Collaborates with data analytics staff.
- Creates written narrative summaries that outline project purpose, methodology, summary of findings, trends of interest, opportunities for intervention or consideration, changes or shifts in data elements from one time period to another, etc. to compliment many of the above reports, models and analytics.
- Provides insight, analytical and business guidance to other team members and other departments with Beacon Health, LLC.
- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Contributes to projects with the Data Management and Advanced Data Analytics teams.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information, regularly exercises discretion and judgment.
- Ability to think strategically, analyze issues and develop recommendations.
- Must possess an understanding of operational processes and ability to evaluate impacts on data compilation and reporting.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Acts Strategic: Creates effective plans that anticipate future consequences and opportunities and is able to connect the day to day operations to longer-term objectives, shifts in the industry, and system goals.
* Applies Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of current and future trends that impact organizational success. Applies proven practices and business theories to get results that meet financial as well as other business goals. Recognizes opportunities for new services and products and acts accordingly, taking measured risks into consideration. Possesses a thorough knowledge of their field and independently carries out their work in accordance with professional standards of the profession.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, database experience and other computer related skills.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Ability to design and build an executable computer program to accomplish a specific computing result.
* Bachelor's Degree
* 7+ years of relative experience required.
* Experience with MySQL, Oracle, SAP, SQL Server, and Tableau
* Need to drive to perform responsible duties.
* Continuous sitting.
* Lifting, moving and loading less than 20 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status