Job Posting End Date: July 30
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:The Digital Incubator & Advanced Analytics team is an inter-disciplinary team of Digital strategist, Product Innovators, Data Scientists and technical geeks. We provide digital thought leadership to inform our business strategies and incubate next-gen cloud-based digital and analytical offerings. We drive ideas from concept to launch in a rapid fashion, taking smart risks on strategic and innovative offerings. We assemble solutions by building and integrating with a broader partner ecosystems of emerging tech start-ups and established companies.
Part strategist, part product innovator, part entrepreneur – you will be responsible for generating, framing and pitching new ideas / opportunities. You will find creative ways to assemble/ build these digital capabilities and solutions that can drive strategic growth and lower operating cost structures for Unum. You will be actively sought to solve highly ambiguous and complex problems at the intersection of business and emerging technology. You are adept at understanding emerging technologies and how they fundamentally alter the business dynamics.
You will drive ideas from concept to launch in a rapid fashion and partner with senior leaders in the business to identify and conceptualize ideas. As new ideas evolve in the external market and/or internally, you will facilitate the decision making to scale the MVP / Pilot and act as a bridge by defining the scaled business / operating model and ensuring a smooth transition to scale.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply first principles thinking to conduct market research, validate viability, shape ideas and drive inception to launch
- Develop the digital strategy, solution & roadmap for future growth and evangelize vision with key business stakeholders and executive leadership
- Drive creative solutioning by assessing internal /external capabilities and considering build vs buy vs assemble considerations
- Externally focused, bring in startups and other partner capabilities to accelerate product delivery
- Harness the nimbleness and frugality of a startup inside of a large corporate
- Execute on MVP / pilot
- Develop operating model for newer capabilities (as needed) and partner with the Business Affiliates as well as Architecture & Engineering functions as we scale solutions
- Publish thought leadership on emerging technology trends and insights and guidelines on application
- Expect to distribute your time across:
- Market facing (~20%) – Keeping abreast of emerging tech and identifying disruptive capabilities
- Strategy Definition (~30%*): Define strategies and digital solutions, develop business cases & roadmap for opportunities tapping into emerging tech capabilities and integrating them across the businesses
- Solution Delivery (~50%*): Manage and drive cross-functional coordination for the selected programs implemented in the innovation pipeline.
- Multi-disciplinary – Engineering / Software degree /experience plus MBA
- Masters Degree or a Bachelors Degree plus relevant professional experience that would be equivalent to a Masters required
- 5+ years of applied, relevant experience in Strategy / Digital consulting, Entrepreneur, Software Product Manager
- Strong storytelling and communication skills to evangelize their vision at all levels. Proven ability to communicate complex, technical information in easily understood manner.
- Quick learner, high tolerance to ambiguity, Self-driven, hustler who can push through organizational barriers
- Technology savvy with a passion for emerging technologies and how they can be applied to solving real problems
- Acumen for building relationships with peers, business partners and the external world.
- Inherent bias for action and understand the need for speed and urgency
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.